Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GARY SEVERN Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

May 27, 2007, 05:19 AM
    Cut doorway through cinder block
    What is the proper procedure to cut a doorway through cinder block? The cinder block wall is an interior wall that I want to access through from one room to another? It is not a weight bearing wall.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 27, 2007, 06:20 AM
    The way I have seen, and also works. Draw out opening(Plumb and Level)
    Drill hole at corners first, to locate corners on other side of wall.
    Use Target Saw, Giant concrete saw. Cut Square as you can.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 27, 2007, 08:56 AM
    Yes stratmando is correct, if you are doing it yourself, go to a tool rental store and rent a concrete saw
    GARY SEVERN Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

May 27, 2007, 10:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    The way I have seen, and also works. Draw out opening(Plumb and Level)
    Drill hole at corners first, to locate corners on other side of wall.
    Use Target Saw, Giant concrete saw. Cut Square as you can.
    Okay, Well then what do I do, I mean do I need to build a special header? Fill any areas (voids) with concrete? Box or frame in with 'green board'? Best way to attach frame to block to sides? Installing the door will not be a problem.
    Thanks
    Uber Member

May 27, 2007, 10:06 AM
    Oh Yeah, Almost Forgot, Look at any recpticles on each side of opening, and other side of
    Block wall. Should be able to tell if Electrical conduit or wiring, If so, Remove, Cut Opening,
    Then reroute electrical around opening, Also if switch and or light needed, May be the time, Before installing Door.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

May 28, 2007, 04:15 PM
    You Most Likely Need To Install A Piece Of Angel Iron Above Your Cut, This Will Prevent The Block Above From Cracking Once You Cut Your Hole Out. The Way Everyone Is Describing To Cut This Door In Is The Best Way,
    If Your Putting A Door In Just Make Sure You Have Enough Room To Install Some Nailers On The Sides And Top. Most Likely You'll Only Be Able To Use Some Treated 3/4 Boards.
    Do Make Sure You Get This Perfectly Plumb Also Check To See If Your Floor In Level Also
    dvincent Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2010, 02:05 AM
    Hey There Steve,
    I've been there... and still trying to make it right!
    I inherit my block house and within the last 2 years (since my fathers passing 7-7-07) there has been two large cypress trees to fail on it. Once in the front, Dec 08 and the second one cross the back in April of this year! Oh what a tough little house, there was only damage to the roof with only minimal cracks in the joints both times.
    As for removing a wall:
    I hired someone to make a 10' opening, which took out a window and a door. But when I arrive to see the progress, I was not pleased to see how the opening was frame up!! There's 2x6's in the framing but the header does not meet the bottom of the cinder blocks. The 2x6's will have to be removed but I'm really not sure how to fix it or finish it out. I ask the fellow what to do about all those gaps between the so called framing. He said we'll just fill it with mortar...
    Now even I (a women) and a DIY a that knows theirs much more that has to be done than just mortar. Heck I can't even see how the mortar will stay in place!

Money is tight and I'm trying to do most of the work myself or at least what I know I can do! But I do believe I could have done a better job of framing my new opening than was done!

I sure hope we(Steve & I) can find advice on how to repair this opening and it look like I paid $$$ to get it done!! I do have pictures but not sure how to share them yet!

Uber Member

Jul 5, 2010, 08:02 AM

At the bottom of this page , where it says "Answer this Question" You can select Bold Type, Italics, Insert Image, and so on.
    Click on insert Image and go from there. Good Luck
    A couple of Pictures would be nice.
    Take Care

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stains on cinder block fence [ 3 Answers ]

I have a cinder block fence and on the outside wall which fall on the street there are stains most likely from water/rain sipping from the yard. I have a desert landscape and just couple bushes, watering is done by the drip system 3 times a week, when the water dripping system start the ground...

Mold in cinder block house. [ 4 Answers ]

I hope I am posting in the right place. I am an American living in Bucharest Romania. We rent a house.. a very old house with a small basement that we do not use. It is very musty and probably moldy... but I have never ventured that far. My husband has been down there and it is empty except for...

Repairing cinder block foundation [ 0 Answers ]

Hi All, My house is on a hill so the front is at level with the street and the back foundation is partly exposed. The garge is part of the basement and level with the driveway. Over the years water coming down from the roof and building up behind a 2 1/2' retaining wall next to the garage has...

View more questions Search