Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starsdie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2009, 08:57 AM
    Can cassius be considered as protagonist in julius caesar?
    There are plenty of debates as to whether the protagonist of julius caeser is caesar himself or brutus... cassius is not even considered for the part. Detaching the play from the time it was written in... or what shakespeare might or might not have intended... studying it in a purely objective fashion, what would be the arguments for and against the consideration of cassius as the main character? After all he is the brightest character of the play, he develops the most in the 5 acts, he is the most tactically astute amongst the conspirators, and yet brutus constantly overrules him... with fatal consequeces...
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 18, 2009, 09:36 AM

Hmmmmm, good (homework) question. What do YOU think?
    starsdie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2009, 09:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Hmmmmm, good (homework) question. What do YOU think?
    Not a homework question. We're doing julius caeser this term and all our teacher does is drone on and on about whether brutus or caeser is the protagonist. I just wanted to see if all people reading caeser thought this way.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 22, 2009, 03:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by starsdie View Post
    not a homework question. we're doing julius caeser this term and all our teacher does is drone on and on about whether brutus or caeser is the protagonist. i just wanted to see if all people reading caeser thought this way.
    protagonist = hero
    Was Caesar the hero? Was Brutus the hero for killing him and to stop him from taking on more power?

I vote for Brutus as protagonist.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2009, 12:33 AM
    Not every story has to have a clear-cut protagonist.

There are clearly 3 main characters in Shakespeare's play - Caesar not being one of them. Mark Antony has the pivotal speech, but he doesn't seem to be the protagonist. Cassius is a bit of a weasel, but critical to the play. Brutus is a tragic figure and it is he whom the play revolves around.

Cassius certainly is a protagonist, but Brutus is the character we watch. We don't really care about Cassius.

If I had to pick, it is Brutus for me. He betrays his friend and this betrayal results in his ultimate downfall.

"Et tu, Brute" says it all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Julius caesar [ 2 Answers ]

How many times was julius caesar stabbed?

Julius caesar [ 1 Answers ]

In Julius Caesar,Act 1 Scene 2,What note of warning is sounded near the beginning of this scene

Julius Caesar [ 2 Answers ]

I need rebuttal on Julius Caesar the person please help:( :(

Help with julius caesar [ 2 Answers ]

I have homework questions on the shakespeare play of julius caesar can someone help me.

View more questions Search