Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikehenneborn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2009, 09:42 AM
    Fix and stop cracks on extreier 15 panel door
    I have a 15 panel door that goes to the outside of the building, the side rail had come apart from the top and center rails and you can see light through the splits,the door has been refinished and looks good, this door is over 50 years old and I don't want to make a mess out of it, what can I do?? :rolleyes:
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2009, 09:58 AM

It may have been refinished and Looks good but obviously the panes muttons and mullions styles are dried out and the wood rails groves are to loose in its grove. Now add the panels shrinking in age.

The best and only way to fix this is take off garage door. Separate loose rails and panels. Use Exterior wood glue and bar clamp door back together and keep it square or out of square as it sits now.

The half fix is separate the panel end styles and wood glue that and clamp it. That is a hard thing to do because ALL of the wood has shurnk

Its very time consuming to try and save and old wood garage door. It's a labor of love.

The only other solution is get a new door.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

02 Explorer door panel removal [ 1 Answers ]

How do I remove the front door panel on an 02 Explorer

98 Golf Rear Door Panel [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1998 Volkswagen Golf 4 DR, the back speakers have stopped working on both sides, I switched one of the working front speakers into the back and it didn't work, this leads me to believe that it is in the wiring, I've heard that the connector on the Golf in the back door is usually the...

View more questions Search