Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amy75 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2006, 05:33 PM
    Worried about heartworm meds.
    Hello Everyone -

I have three dachshunds which I monthly give Sentinel heartworm treatment pills. My problem is that I am almost a month behind on their treatment because my vet will not authorize the prescription until she has now tested all three for heartworm - an idea that would have been grand when I just had two out of three of them in the office. They also do not sell the pills in their office so I need to get them from 1800 petmeds. My concern right now is that they are going a month without this treatment in the summer. I am trying to keep them inside as much as possible, but they do like to be outside in the summer. I am angry that it is so hard to get them their prescription right now - especially when I was just in the office. I still have another week's wait before I can even get the prescription faxed in! Is this something that can put my dog's in danger? I am going around in circles on this and have no way to get their heartworm pills. Will they be okay?

Amy
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 24, 2006, 06:37 PM
    The occurrence and therefore risk of heartworm varies from state to state. I have also freaked out when I realised I accidentally skipped a month on my black lab Missy and we live in Mosquitoville Florida. However I called her vet as soon as I found out and he reassured me that its probably okay. She was tested shortly thereafter and turned out fine. But you and I know that it only takes one so I wouldn't push it. Can you try calling another vet or pleading with the old one again?
    Beekie Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jun 29, 2006, 03:59 PM
    I have missed several months before and my vet said that a test would only be needed if I was six months behind. (I believe it takes time for the heartworms to show up.) I think you should be okay about missing just one month... and like "Val" said try going to another vet or re-discussing it with yours.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Worried... [ 14 Answers ]

I have been really stressed out lately and I am findind myself unable to go to bed until the early hours of the morning (even thiugh I am tired) and I am not able to eat properly either. At times I feel sick (but never am sick). Yesterday I went to work (on an empty stomach) as I just wasn't...

Worried. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Am a guy of 22 and at ma age I don't have a beard and there are no sign it would *** out in the next year,it worries me to c people below ma age wit beard and wit this I look younga than them,is there anytin I can do or use? I look a bit younga than ma age and very soon I'll be graduating...

I'm worried! [ 14 Answers ]

My dog is to skinny... I have German Shep she's about 14yrs latly she's been having problems walking up & down the stairs... and when I take her for a walk she falls behind.. wobbly when she walks.. and today she only ate one bowl of food... Can anyone tell me what's going on?

Worried Mom [ 5 Answers ]

My daughter is dating a guy from another state. He comes here on week ends and she talks to him all the time on the phone. He doesn't have a cell but uses his mothers. When he comes here she pays for everything but denies it when I ask her. She says he pays but I know for sure she does. She is...

Refusal to take pain meds when dying [ 3 Answers ]

Not a question, but a perspective I had not thought about. I attended the wake of a friend's mother yesterday. She had terminal cancer, fought the fight, and eventually lost. We found out about her passing on the way to my wife's aunt's funeral, another cancer victim. At the wake, her...

View more questions Search