Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KevinandZuzana Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2012, 07:52 AM
    My 3 year old won't talk
    My 3 year old son won't talk. He is learning 2 languages and I understand that it can take longer because of this. He has been going to a speech therapist for the past 4 months and still does not seem to be making any progress. Also he can cry for no reason for up to an hour. If anyone can give us some advice or went through the same thing I would very much like to hear from you.

Many thanks
    Rainbowgirl067 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2012, 08:08 AM
    I think you should see if he is shy
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 1, 2012, 08:09 AM
    Before you took him to a speech therapist, did you have him thoroughly examined physically, and his hearing tested, and tests for autism?
    Plus - there's even a chance that there's nothing wrong with him. There are many people, even famous ones with PhDs and many talents, who didn't talk at all until even later than 3.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2012, 01:06 PM
    You seem very very very concerned, is it possible you are feeding some of this yourself? Causing some anxiety in him, and answering for him, talking for him, because you feel he isn't ready to yet?
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Dec 1, 2012, 03:31 PM
    My brother wasn't talking at three, either (being the helpful older sister, I was always talking for him). I don't remember how long it took, but he went to a speech therapist for awhile, and it eventually worked.

It's possible he recognizes there are two different languages, and won't talk because he hasn't figured out how to separate them. Some people, even toddlers, don't want to do something until they know they can do it right. The crying might be pure frustration at not being able to make himself understood.

If he's been tested to learning and physical disabilities, and nothing blipped, then he might just be taking his time.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Dec 1, 2012, 06:35 PM
    Definitely not out of the ordinary due to dual languages. If hearing is normal, then it may just take some time. I have 2 kindergarteners this year that didn't speak a word. Both are talking away, but it took a few months. Both are 4, almost 5.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What to do if my best friend won't talk to me [ 2 Answers ]

What to do if you're best frein doesn't talk to you because you did something sordove mean

Why won't my teenage son talk to me [ 2 Answers ]

I am 56 yrs old, divorced for 17 years with a 19 year old son who has decided to not have me in his life. When he was younger 2 through 14, we used to have a blast going to arcades, movies, parks etc... He had an eating problem... only eating carbs ( bagels, goldfish etc) . By the way, a bad...

She wants to talk to her ex but I won't let her [ 1 Answers ]

When they were dating things were rough he would constantly yell at her and cuss at her he cheated on her a few times. And I was there for support the whole time. They dated for 2 and a half years and eventually she left him and came to me. We've been dating for a month now and she was friends with...

My daughter won't talk to me... [ 5 Answers ]

I am feeling so much remorsefullness... my 22 year old daughter, whom I haven't been getting along with for a very long time, moved out last week and won't take my texts or calls and changed her e-mail address. I have a short fuse and have anger issues but have always loved her.However I couldn't...

View more questions Search