Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Berry89 Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Jun 7, 2007, 06:10 PM
    NATO Expansion
    Why has NATO continued to expand into Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union?

What role might NATO play in today's world?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2007, 04:33 AM
    It certainly is a debatable proposition that the NATO alliance may have already outlived it's utility . That is the position people like Rep. Ron Paul has taken . He argues that an expanding NATO is a cover for US interventionism .

I do not buy that part of his argument but NATO does seem to be an alliance without a well defined mission (although Vlad Putin may have changed that dynamic this week with his bluster ). NATO has been a key ally in Afghanistan so it appears that it is willing to expand it's responsibilities beyond containment of Russia. We in turn came to the service of the NATO nations when we helped intervene in the Balkans. I think that was a good mission to undertake.

Call it NATO or some other cross Atlantic alliance ,I think continued cooperation of free nations is essential in the world we live in . The former Soviet satellite nations that are being added to the NATO umbrella are some of the most dynamic new democratic free nations on the planet. As a matter of fact;I think "old Europe " would do well to see what is happening there and remember where they once were . A united Europe that did not incorporate these nations would be incomplete.

Nearly fifty-three years after its creation, NATO remains the core of the United States commitment to Europe and the bedrock of our security and stability in a still dangerous world. Secretary Powell made this point best in his confirmation hearings when he observed that "the value of NATO can be seen by the fact that ten years after the Cold War, nations are still seeking to join the Alliance, not to leave it." NATO can meet new threats, building cooperation with former enemies, and ensuring stability in Southeast Europe, giving time for this region to become a part of the European mainstream. NATO's fundamentals -- its shared values, and common commitment to defend freedom -- remain sound. [Marc Grossman, Under Secretary for Political Affairs Testimony Before the Senate Armed Services Committee Washington, DC February 28, 2002]

I think they deserve our continued defense guarantees .
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jun 8, 2007, 05:13 AM
    I, too, agree with the continued alliance with freedom loving countries around the globe. Without these crucile contacts, us helping them and them helping us, we would likely be in a more perilous position. NATO's purpose is still intact. The role and mission must remain adaptable and assertive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a expansion valve [ 1 Answers ]

HI, I have a cental a/c in my home it is a york 3ton. The freon is controlled by an orfice. I was told that an expansion valve is much better. The reason for the change the system will not cool like I think it should. Even when it was new it did not work that well. I have a 1280sf raised ranch. I...

The Expansion Of The Universe [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, my name is Nathanael Turner, I am 15 years old so my analogy may not be 'correct' but you get the general picture: My Question: 1)Will the universe carry on expanding for an infinate amount of time? OR 2)Will its mass eventually cause it to impload under its own gravitational...

Diablo II Expansion [ 2 Answers ]

I'm not really sure if I'm supposed to post it here:o When I try to play it says please insert play disc. So, I downloaded the patch and installed it, then it says Please insert Diablo Expansion disc in your CD-ROM even if it is. So can someone help me?:o

Water Expansion [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. Can someone tell be at what temperature water is at it's most compact? In other words, what temperature will it start expanding by both heating, and cooling?

View more questions Search