Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    momma_of_2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2011, 12:24 PM
    Do I have to use vacation time if I take time off when I am a salaried employee ?
    I live in Ontario Canada.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 12, 2011, 01:14 PM

Why don't you ask you employer this question, it is a legitimate question?

Your 6% vacation pay has been acrued so basically you get a paid two weeks without interruption of your paid salary. You don't have to, you can ask for a leave of absence, but then you will miss pay cheques, so why would you want to do that?

Ask your employer what is the best way to handle this if don't want to miss a pay cheque.

Tick
    Ontario
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 12, 2011, 03:00 PM

If you have no other time off benefit, then yes. If your employer permits you may be able to take an unpaid leave.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 12, 2011, 03:20 PM

All good answers. We can't be more specific since company policies vary. In most companies you must take a vacation day , unless they allow for a personal leave day. Since you are salaried they should have an employee handbook that covers such matters. Like Tic said just ask

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

May a full-time employee also work as a temporary employee for the same company? [ 3 Answers ]

We are a small CBRF (community based residential facility) in Wisconsin, with 12 full-time employees. In the past when a full-time employee could not work we either have a temporary/pool employee to work ($12.00 per hour). However, sometimes pool employees are unavailable. In that case we have...

If a salaried employee does not have enough vacation time, can his pay be docked? [ 1 Answers ]

A salaried employee wishes to take time off (out of the office whole days). However, the employee has not accrued enough vacation time to cover the days out of the office. Because the employee is salaried, does the employer have the right to dock their pay for the time off that was not able to be...

Can a salaried employee be required to make up time they were docked for? [ 6 Answers ]

I am a salaried employee. Last week I was out for 2 days dealing with kidney stones. I didn't have any accrued time to use because I used it all when I was in the hospitalized in January for the same thing. My check for the week was docked for the 2 days that I missed. Upon my return my boss told...

Salaried and Unpaid Time Off [ 5 Answers ]

If a salaried member of management has used their personal/sick time and then misses another day of work, can the employer not pay them for that day?

Salaried Vacation Pay Without Taking Time Off. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello: I am a salaried in employee in Illinois, I get 10 vacation days a year. I only used 6 vacation days, I don't take much time. I asked my boss if I could just take the pay for my remaining days and she gave it to me. Now 4 months later she told me she found out she couldn't pay me...

View more questions Search