Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amandaprice3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2010, 01:27 PM
    Can a salaried employee be required to make up time they were docked for?
    I am a salaried employee. Last week I was out for 2 days dealing with kidney stones. I didn't have any accrued time to use because I used it all when I was in the hospitalized in January for the same thing. My check for the week was docked for the 2 days that I missed. Upon my return my boss told me that I had to do some work at home for the company to make up the time I missed. Is this legal?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 12, 2010, 01:48 PM

If you are going to "make up the work at home" then theyare going to pay you the two days back ?
    amandaprice3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2010, 08:26 PM
    I have to do "the work at home" but with NO PAY
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2010, 06:05 AM

Hello a:

They didn't pay you for work that you didn't do. Given that you're a salaried employee, I'd say that wasn't proper.

Demanding that you then DO the work you didn't do, and NOT be paid for it, is definitely NOT proper. The question I have for you, is what do you want to DO about it. You can refuse for the reasons I'm going to give you, but they'll fire you, and you won't have any recourse. IF, however, you can get other work, I'd fight 'em. I hate to be ripped off.

Let me know what you want to do.

excon
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2010, 06:39 AM

It doesn't make sense that they dock you and then also want you to work off the clock.

This number, 1-866-487-9243, is the general information number for the US Department of Labor/Wage and Hour. I would run your situation past them and see if they have some resources. You can also contact them at www.dol.gov/contact/index.htm

Good Luck!
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 13, 2010, 10:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland View Post
    It doesn't make sense that they dock you and then also want you to work off the clock.

This number, 1-866-487-9243, is the general information number for the US Department of Labor/Wage and Hour. I would run your situation past them and see if they have some resources. You can also contact them at www.dol.gov/contact/index.htm

Good Luck!
    What part of salary don't I understand? OP is paid on a periodic basis (weekly, monthly, yearly, whatever) to do certain work. How many hours it takes to do it is beside the point.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2010, 11:57 AM

My husband works for salary, but it is in his contract that he will work 40 hours on average per week. If he works less and does not have comp time or vacation time then he will be docked. (Never happens in his case, but has for fellow co-workers.)

Same with my sister who is a teacher for the school system. Although she works tons of hours at home grading/planning, if she misses a day and has no vacation she gets docked and she is considered to be a salaried position.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a salaried employee be docked pay for doctors appointment [ 2 Answers ]

Can a salaried employee be required to use accrued sick time for a doctors appointment when other salaried employees are not required to do so.

I am a salaried employee and if I am out sick the job wants me to make up the days? [ 1 Answers ]

I am salary employee and I take off sick from work and my employer wants me to make up these days that I was off sick. But I was under a Doctor"s care and provided a note for each days missed?

Should an exempt salaried employee be docked for leaving early [ 1 Answers ]

I am an exempt salaried employee who works 40 hours a week 9 months out of the year. The other 3 months I work anywhere from 70 to 100 hrs a week. About a month ago I left about 2 hrs early, and then last week about 1 1/2 hrs early. Now they are telling me that I have to take that off my monthly...

Salaried employee's pay docked [ 1 Answers ]

In Alabama can an employee be docked for missing a day of work if they are classified as salaried and their time is billed out for the company benefit? And I am told I cannot be paid overtime!

Salaried Exempy Employee paycheck docked 1 week pay for arriving 5 hours late [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all, A friend and former colleague's paycheck was docked 1 week of pay (approx $2,000) for arriving at work 5 hours late due to car problems. She is a salaried exempt employee in the state of Connecticut. She receives 4 weeks vacation each year, and has over 2 weeks of accrued, unused...

View more questions Search