Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shadz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2007, 09:43 PM
    Sexually abused
    My boyfriend was sexually abused when he was young and now he seems to think that its his fault. He hasn't talked to anyone about it. How do I help him?:confused:
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2007, 09:52 PM
    Although it is very caring of you and I'm sure you would love nothing more than to help your boyfriend there really is not much you can do. I would encourage him to get some professional help. That really is the best way. During which time you can be as supportive and loving to him as you can be. But unless he wants to help himself then no one else can. And if it is affecting your relationship than you aren't inclined to have to sit by and let him ruin both of your lives!

So be supportive and encourage him to get the help he needs but if he is unwilling then you can make your decision whether to continue with him or not.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2007, 09:54 PM
    Many times victims of sexual abuse will blame themselves, especially if they have been made to feel guilty about it by the abuser.

Sexual abuse is a crime. Was it ever reported to authorities like the police? If not, it should be reported to the proper authorities and see what they think and what they will do. No victim of sexual abuse is ever at fault.

Most, if not all states have some kind of social service organizations where you can report abuse and also get counseling.

There are also support groups for people who have been abused where they can share with others who have endured something like they have.

Many counseling agencies have sliding fee scales where you can pay very little or nothing at all if you cannot afford much.

If you go to a church or synagogue, speak with the pastor, priest or rabbi.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2007, 12:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shadz
    my boyfriend was sexually abused when he was young and now he seems to think that its his fault. he hasnt talked to anyone about it. how do i help him?:confused:
    Be there for him. Love him and cherish him. Talk to him and make him try realise that something of the sort is not his fault. I know its difficult, but you need to make him believe that.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 28, 2007, 04:33 AM
    He needs to see a mental health care professional.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Found out my girlfriend was sexually abused, what should I do? [ 12 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I were talking last night, and we got to the subject of sex. She said she was afraid to go any farther than kissing, and I told her that was OK, because I didn't want to go any farther either. I could tell that something was bothering her, and I asked her what was the matter. She...

Helping an abused friend? [ 4 Answers ]

Okay I have this friend and she is a teenager. She is on like her 12th foster parents and her uncle has been beating her for like six or seven years and so she cuts and hurts herself. I want to help her but she always says she will be fine and then starts not talking about it so how can I help her...

My daughter, sexually abused, has a love/hate relationsip with me [ 11 Answers ]

Hello My daughter, now in her mid 20's, was sexually abused by a family friend when she was very young, and she and her brother used to stay with them and play with their children. I have given my daughter all the love and support I can. My trouble is that the wife of this man knew of...

Fear of the telling the truth, was abused need advice! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi! I am a mom of three in the verge of a divorce after 10 yrs, my ex was a boozer abuser and made me fear most things that I considered valuable in life like telling the truth, and communication. I know I lie and hate doing it, I don't lie to my kids, just my ex fear of him I guess. Im so scared...

Can the Internet be abused? [ 8 Answers ]

One of the great things about the internet today,is that anyone anywhere can get their message across to others,no matter who they are,or where they are.Apart from a few repressive areas of the world,most of us with web access can look up the news,info,music,movies,even those awful jpegs of Aunt...

View more questions Search