Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sarah300482 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2013, 02:31 AM
    My son is three years old and will not talk he communicates by using sounds.
    My son will not talk. He just refuses to say anything. He will use the sounds of things instead of words like brum brum instead of saying car. He hears perfectly well. He is one of three children so has plenty of stimulation.

I think this is a case of won't talk, not can't talk because he will say a word then not say it again and says no and shakes his head when we talk to him and ask him to repeat the word back to us.

I'm so worried because he is due to start nursery and he will not even be able to ask for a drink. He seems so babyish. Help!!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 10, 2013, 04:26 AM
    Many very successful, intelligent people didn't talk much or at all for this long or even longer. But without testing (and they will want to double check his hearing), you won't know if he's just 'holding back' or has something wrong developmentally. You could start looking into where to get tested while letting him adjust to preschool, and see if he changes in that environment. If he can make sounds for things, he can do so when he's thirsty. And it might prompt him to use words if new people around him don't know what he wants, and he might be more willing to be like kids his age as opposed to his siblings.
    Getting tested sooner rather than later does have advantages if there is something wrong, like autism, because early treatment is more successful than later.
    sassy712 Posts: 25, Reputation: 6

May 19, 2013, 04:36 PM
    I am sorry you are going through this... My son was diagnosed with autism.. It took him awhile to be able to talk and to be able to talk plainly. He is 9 years old now and within the past few years really started talking. He started making sounds, but wouldn't talk. You should get him tested, there are programs out there... really good ones.. Autistic children can be a handful, and will take up a lot of your time as will any child with a special need.. Like I said, my son is 9 and I am still going through a lot with him, but he is so worth it. God chooses who he lends the special children to... and whoever he chooses is very blessed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 26 month old son not responding to certain sounds. But hearing test came out fine. [ 0 Answers ]

My 26 month old son was not able to respond to his name when he was 22 month old. Now he turns 1 out of 3-4 times to his name. When asked his name, he points to himself. a) He was tested for Hearing. In the behavorial test he failed badly. In the computer test, he cleared the test. b) He...

Can I choose how my child communicates with the other parent. [ 2 Answers ]

In our custody orders it states that the person who does not have possession of the child can communicate with the child at least once a week via phone or email. Since I have full custody of my son can I choose how the other parent talks to him?

My 5 years old is confused in phonic sounds of alphabets [ 2 Answers ]

I am telling as an example for BAT. He is same in all words if I tell him read this he will spell it rightly but like BAT he will say SAP I am always spending hours to get his homework but he is not understanding the logic he is mugging up . Please help shall I show him to a doctor

2 year old son coughing and sounds like gaggin at night? [ 9 Answers ]

Yeserday and today my 27 month old son wakes up with coughing and sounding like he's vomitting. I turn the lights on to see if he actually vomits and he doesn't, it just sounds like he does... he keeps coughing for a minute or 2, then calms down and goes back to sleep. Hes been soing during nap...

View more questions Search