Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sgreenfiel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 05:03 PM
    Can a minor purchase an automobile
    My son is 17 and is purchasing his first car and paying cash. Can it be titled in his name?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2007, 05:08 PM
    Helo sg:

Sure.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 26, 2007, 05:21 PM
    Actually most likely no, since he is a minor and bying a car is a legal contract,

And a written one, in some cases he would be allowed to go back to cancell the deal latter since he could claim he was not allowed by law to sign a legal contract.

Now this is from a strict law school contact class,

To see if your state allows it one way or another, call the DMV and ask them if a minor can title a car in their name only.

Next call your insurance and ask them if a minor can get car insurance on a car titled to them only.

And of course remember as a parent, even if it is in his name only, you are still liable if he was to have a wreck since as a minor the parent is liable

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Closing an automobile accident claim [ 2 Answers ]

The claim's adjuster has called and wants to close my claim from an accident that happened in August 2006. It was totally the other guys fault. We were hit from behind and hit the car ahead of us. The guy tried to give my husband his wife's driver's license. We called the sheriff's office and...

Automobile [ 2 Answers ]

My 1989 Ford F-150 2wheel Drive 4.9 liter engine, standard transmission truck is not charging my battery correctly even with a new alternator,when the battery is fully charged it runs beautifully, and starts up without a problem, after I drive it for awhile and shut it off, and try starting it...

Company automobile [ 3 Answers ]

If an owner of a LLC purchases a car and wants to count off the car expense on taxes, do you have to record the purchase price of the car. The company is paying the monthly payment but did not invest in the initial purchase. My question comes from posting the car payment. You have principal and...

View more questions Search