Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sexyi1969 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2008, 02:24 PM
    Can a court summons be left on your door?
    Can a court summons be left on your door? And what can I do after this happens?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2008, 04:32 PM
    The process server must obtain permission from the court to leave the notice.
    This usually happens when it is very difficult, sometimes impossible, to get someone served with the notice.
    As long as the court granted permission for it to be left, then you have been served. Hell, some places will allow you to post a small add the newspaper as a form of service.
    You need to appear and defend yourself, however that can be done is up to you.
    If you don't show up, they will be granted a default judgment because you didn't appear.
    At least go and give yourself a fighting chance.

Good Luck
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 20, 2008, 05:29 PM
    Yes, the laws of service vary from state to state. Leaving it on the door is allowed in some states on some types of service. ( assuming they did confirm that was the correct house and the person did live there)
    If the house was empty and no electric hooked up, obviously the perosn did not live there and that may or may not have been valid service.

Now if you find it was not valid service, guesss what, you still have to go to court and present your case that you were not property serviced, since if you just don't go, they rule against you automatically.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Received court summons in my door and have 2 weeks to court date [ 9 Answers ]

I received a summons on my door for a $5,000 debt to american express. Lawyer office is about 1 1/2 from my home... I am willing to pay the debt, do I have to show up for court? I am going to be out of town and won't be around on the court date... can I call the attorney's office and settle the...

Summons to appear in court [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have received a summons to appear in court, this is for an outstanding credit card debt that is around 4 years old. I have tried to find out what the statute of limitations are in Colordo is, but am getting conflicting answers. Please help, and if possible, some examples I can site.

Court Summons [ 5 Answers ]

If you receive a summons from your mortgage company and you work things out with them Do you still have to answer the summons? Well I was told that the mortgage company said you don't have to answer it and they will send something in the mail within 10 days to sign and then a certified check will...

Debt Court Summons -- If I pay in full, can I avoid court? [ 5 Answers ]

I realize a lot of people post questions regarding debt summons and I've scrolled through the boards but I haven't found a clear answer to a few of my queries. Here's what happened: I was today presented (they slid it under my door) with a summons to appear in court. I'm being sued by Capital One...

Court summons [ 3 Answers ]

If someone comes to your home to serve you a court summons,what could it be from? I was not home at the time and they would not hand the summons to anybody but me.

View more questions Search