Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Carlos Arango Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2006, 10:13 AM
    Bankruptcy
    Hi: I'm thinking in going in bankruptcy. I owed some money to the IRS. Do I still have to pay?
    I have also some retirement accounts like my daugther custodian account for her college and a 401k. Are this accounts protected? Also my primary home and my car?

Thank you. Carlos.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Nov 8, 2006, 08:36 PM
    I might be wrong but I don't think by going bankrupt will eliminate the IRS debt, the daugh custodian acct ? -- not sure about that one, but the 401k should be protected, the house, is probably protected too, the car, I can't see how the bankruptcy court would take your one and only vehicle especially if you use it to get to and from work. Any bankruptcy attorney's want to answer. I am just an old guy with practical everyday experience.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 9, 2006, 08:58 AM
    No you can not get rid of an IRS debt though bankruptcy.

You did not say how much you owed them, normally unless it is in the 1000's they don't come after your home ( yes they can put a lien on your home but normally this is a last thing they do)

They also can garnish your pay check, attach all your bank accounts.

There are attorneys who do nothing but work with settlements with the IRS. Normally unless you did tax fraud, but merely did not just pay the money you needed to. So if you owe in the 10,000 plus range they are a good idea.

Normally they will just work out a payment plan with you.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Nov 9, 2006, 09:24 AM
    Unless the new Bankruptcy law has changed the rules regarding this, I believe that Federal taxes can be discharged in a BK. There are fairly stringent rules though:1) A tax return must have been filed.2)The return must have been filed at least 3 years before BK,3) At least 2 years must pass before the BK petition if the return was filed late. 4)Taxpayer must wait min 240days from the tax assessment to allow time for collection. 5) Fraud must not be involved. A couple of years ago I had a friend who had over $50 K in Federal taxes discharged from when he was self employed. According to the article in front of me, dated 12/07/87 many attorneys are not aware of this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bankruptcy [ 4 Answers ]

I filed bankruptcy. I listed all creditors. The trustee had a meeting of creditors. My X- husband showed up contesting my having him on the list of creditors (it was not for spousal support, but some common bills) The Trustee threw him out as he was not very polite. My Bankruptcy was granted...

Maybe bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

Mom died in 2000, brother was taking care of her, he and I became joint owners of the house. He had been living in the house with her, continued to live there. He asked me to co-sign on a mortgage, to pay his debts and some of hers. I agreed (foolish of me). The house was assessed at $80,000; the...

Bankruptcy [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I was recently contacted by a collection agency regarding a debt owed to a school. To clarify, this was not a student loan. My bankrupcty was discharged on August 30th 2005. She stated that it was in their file as being discharged on this date. However, she still insisted on...

Bankruptcy [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know what the difference is now that the bankruptcy laws have changed? What exactly has changed that would prevent a person from getting a say... Chapter 7 now as compared to before the law changed. This would be for the state of PA. Thanks for any help.

Bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

Just wondering after a person files chapter 7 bankruptcy even though its on your credit for a very long time, what's the average on being able to obtain loans from banks or other sources?

View more questions Search