Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Worried in WV Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2008, 03:18 PM
    Summons regarding credit card debt
    I hope someone here can help me. I live in West virginia and I received a summons from my local sheriff's office yesterday. It says I am summoned and required to serve upon the plaintiff's attorney within 20 days an answer. The plaintiff is Midland Funding LLC in San Diego, CA. Their attorney is Mapother & Mapother. There is no court date on the paper. It does state that if I fail to contact them within 20 days a judgement by default will be taken against me.

The debt I owe is $3805.50 which includes charges I made and all their added fees. I really don't know what I need to do now. I am unemployed and I do not own anything such as vehicles, property or a home. I am married. Could they go after my husbands wages, assets and checking account even though this credit card was only in my name?

We live from paycheck to paycheck and I don't know how I can repay this amount. I did call and talk to someone today and they told me I either had to pay it in full or make payment arrangements. I can't do either. What happens if I can't pay this? I am so worried as to what can happen to me as we have 2 small children. I've read that they can't put you in jail because of debt. Is that true? Please, Please, if someone can give me some advice, I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 04:26 PM
    There are a lot of legal issues in your question.

Perhaps this link would be of some help as I am not familier with W Virginia laws.

Judgments

Good Luck
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 06:51 PM
    Worried in WV asks: "Could they go after my husbands wages, assets and checking account even though this credit card was only in my name?" No
    And: "What happens if I can't pay this?" The plaintiff gets a judgement against you (and your property) that accrues interest in perpetuity.
    And: "I've read that they can't put you in jail because of debt. Is that true?" Yes, only if you live in Georgia can you get put in jail for not paying a debt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Summons for credit card debt [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Minnesota and I received a summons for a credit card debt requesting an answer within 20 days. I don't have the money to pay for the amount that I owe and am currently working on investigating my options for how to pay this money. I am completely unaware of this process and what...

Summons for credit card debt [ 5 Answers ]

I received a summons for a credit card debt for a credit card my wife took out in my name a few years ago it for 3000 and some odd dollars she never made a payment on it when she tried to about ayear ago they refused it.I am on social security and we have had financial problems for years we filed...

Summons for credit card debt [ 2 Answers ]

I am so desperate and so worried that I find myself seeking the help of strangers. On Friday I received a hand delivered summons to appear in court regarding a credit card debt. I have opened credit cards in the past, but I do not remember this particular bank. I also wonder if I did owe,...

Summons Credit Card Debt [ 6 Answers ]

Ok, so super long story short. In 2004 my husband and I settled over $40,000 in debt with his retirement money. Then, of course, we had to pay taxes on it for income. We had to borrow $7,000 from our son and we STILL owe him that money... The whole thing was a mess. There were two credit card...

Credit card debt summons [ 2 Answers ]

I have credit card debt from four different cards. One is our local credit union (washington state) and I believe they are trying to send me a summons. I was contacted by an ex-partner who said they contacted him with "papers". He said he did not know how to contact me. If they cannot find me...

View more questions Search