Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jayvira Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2006, 07:29 PM
    Withholding Problem
    Hello Sir,

I was hired on H1B from December 16, 2005. My Central office is in California but my work location is in Michigan. My employer withhold California State taxes from my December and January pay and didn't withhold Michigan State tax. Actually I didn't stay or work in California at all.

How should I handle this stituation for filing my 2005 Michigan state tax return. Can they rectify this mistake now? I am ready to pay both the state taxes if necessary. Worried?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 2, 2006, 09:59 PM
    If you did not work in California, you owe no California tax. You should file a California tax return to get your withheld taxes back.

You do owe Michigan taxes, but it won't be much for two weeks work. Just file the return and pay the taxes.

Have your company withhold Michigan taxes. Your payroll department should know this; it's not that hard!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paycheck without Tax Withholding, how can I pay the tax? (Chinese F1 student on CPT) [ 8 Answers ]

I am currently doing an intern holding F-1 visa and on CPT in New York state. My employer didn’t withhold any tax from my paycheck. She said I am treated as an independent contractor. My income in the CPT period will be $4800, according to 1040-ES (NR), the tax will be $4800*10%=480, which is...

Playboy girlfirend problem.. Real problem [ 14 Answers ]

I have this new girlfriend.. that I really, really like (more than any other). She seems really nice... she was wearing everything of the "playboy" (earrings, bag, shirt, etc, etc) brand name / merchandise. I thought it was cute and a one time thing. Until I saw her bedroom.. It was 100%...

Withholding of social security and medicare tax [ 1 Answers ]

Atlanta Tax expert, Thank you for all your help! I understand that withholding scial security and medicare tax is employer's responsibility, but I remember my wife told me actually it was she who told her employer to do the exemption. Does this affect her tax report? Thanks

View more questions Search