Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cray2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 06:48 AM
    Replacing hot water angle stop to shut off valve
    My angle stop seems to be soldered to copper piping. How do I change it to keep the hot water shut oof valve from leaking water when turned off?
    cray2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 06:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cray2
    My angle stop seems to be soldered to copper piping. How do I change it to keep the hot water shut oof valve from leaking water when turned off?
    My hot water in the bathroom sink shut off valve leaks when it is turned off.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2007, 07:00 AM
    This may be as simple a fix as tightening the packing nut behind the handle.

Tighten, but do not over tighten the packing nut with the stop in the off position.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 26, 2007, 07:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by iamgrowler
    This may be as simple a fix as tightening the packing nut behind the handle.

Tighten, but do not over tighten the packing nut with the stop in the off position.
    The bonnet packing nut's located just under the handle on the stem,(see image) As Growler advised, do not over tighten. Good luck, Tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2007, 07:33 AM
    If you had room, a torch, and the skill to use it, likely you would have skipped the step of posting here. Also if you wanted to hire somebody. You are looking for other options? Do you mean water continues to flow in the off position? You may get away with just replacing the washer. Shut the water off to it, and unscrew the nut the stem comes out. Pull the whole works out and look at it. If it has a bad washer, but the seat is Ok, a new washer is a cheap, easy fix. If it has other problems, you may be able to find a replacement for all the guts at a hardware store.

Otherwise if you have room, buy a Shark's Tooth to male pipe fitting. If the tubing is 5/8'' OD, buy 1/2'' Buy a ball valve and a pipe to compression 90 degree fitting. You need to be able to make a clean cut to remove the old valve leaving about a 1/2 inch of smooth copper tubing to slip the Shark's Tooth fitting over it. You may have to make a hole in the wall, but the escutcheon should cover it. Screw the 3 fittings together with your preferred pipe sealant, and with the compression fitting turned upwards, slip the shark's tooth fitting over the stub of copper pipe.
    nardy39 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2007, 06:16 PM
    Loosen nut and remove "guts" from valve housing--replace with "guts from new valve and no soldering will be involved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Shut off sink valve for hot water [ 1 Answers ]

Our sink's hot water won't shut off. We have tried what we thought was the shut off valve, located under the sink with no success. Any suggestions on how to shut if off.

Hot water shut off valve and main water line [ 8 Answers ]

I was in my way to replace faucet for basin, but my local hot water shut off valve is not working. So now I have to shut off water supply from main line. Where would that be? I have old house and my water meter is out side. Also how to change shut off valve?

Angle stop valve leaking [ 13 Answers ]

My cold water supply line going to my faucet burst so luckily I was there before it got bad and also the valve still works. After replacing the hose I noticed the hot water valve was corroded and was seeping water. So I thought it would be a great idea to replace all the valves and hoses in both...

Water dripping from angle shut-off valve handle [ 3 Answers ]

I have limited plumbing knowledge so pardon the question if foolish. I have a leak under a bathroom sink that has double shut-off valves (h&c). On the hot side the leak seems to be a drip from the shut-off valve handle. The shut-off valves attach to grey plastic supply lines and are secured by what...

View more questions Search