Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2007, 10:39 AM
    Mahdism 101
    From The Doctrine of Mahdism (.pdf file), In the Ideological and Political Philosophy of
    Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and Ayatollah Mesbah-e Yazdi By A. Savyon and Y. Mansharof

According to Shi’ite tradition, the Twelve Imams, descendants of the Prophet Muhammad’s cousin and son-in-law Ali Ibn Abi Talib, were endowed with divine qualities that enabled them to lead the Shi’ite believers and to function as Allah’s emissaries on earth. However, when the Twelfth Imam Muhammad Al-Mahdi disappeared in 941 CE, his connection with the Shi’ite believers was severed, and since then, the Shi’ites are commanded to await his return at any time.

In the meantime, Shi’ite senior clerics are considered to be the representatives of the Imams, and thus have the authority to handle the affairs of the Shi’ite community, mainly in the religious and judicial spheres, until the Hidden Imam returns to lead the Shi’ite community and deliver it from its suffering.

According to Shi’ite belief, during the period of the Mahdi’s absence (termed ghaibat or “occultation”), no one but God knows the hour of the Mahdi’s return, and no man can presume to foresee when this hour will come. Upon the Mahdi’s reappearance, all wrongs will be righted, divine justice will be instated, and the truth of Shi’ite Islam will be acknowledged by the entire world. (Mahdism)
    Iranina president Ahmadinejad's mentor, Ayatollah Mohammad Taqi Mesbah-e Yazdi, put it this way:

“One of the ideological aspects of the Mahdist doctrine is [its] universality, since the Mahdi comes to establish justice and righteousness in the entire world. Another aspect is the dissemination of justice and righteousness [under the rule of] a single man, a single center, and a single system. Since it is the Hidden Imam who is responsible for disseminating righteousness and justice, the world will need to have a single center and government... so that it will emerge from a state of [division] and establish a single [universal] rule headed by the [Hidden Imam], and every kind of oppression
    and exploitation will [then] vanish from the world... ”

In a 2006 speech marking the Mahdi’s birthday, Ayatollah Mesbah-e Yazdi emphasized the importance of fighting heresy, which, in his opinion, is delaying the coming of the Mahdi: “... Our noblest duty is to strive to reduce oppression, to be more [stringent] in our implementation of Islamic law... and to weaken the control of oppressive and tyrannical regimes over the oppressed. These [actions] can [hasten] the return of the Hidden Imam... If we wish to expedite the Mahdi’s coming, we must remove any obstacles [delaying his return]. What are the obstacles delaying the appearance of the Mahdi? [The are] the [heretical] denial of the blessing [conferred] on society by the presence of the Imam, [as well as] ingratitude, insubordination, and objections [to the doctrine of Mahdism]. If we want to hasten the coming of the Mahdi, we must eliminate these obstacles. We must strive to instate greater justice, ensure a [more stringent] implementation of Islamic law, [bring] the people to take greater interest in the faith and its directives, [establish] the religious laws as the dominant [values] of society, [ensure] that religious faith be taken as a consensus at conferences, and limit the [control of the oppressors, i.e. of the Western powers] over the oppressed throughout the world – both
    Muslim and non-Muslim. [This is what we must do] in order to prepare the ground for the Mahdi’s coming. Thus, the greatest obligation of those awaiting the appearance of the Mahdi is fighting heresy and global arrogance.”
    Just thought you should know what we're up against. Comments?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2007, 11:07 AM
    Magprop and I had an interesting conversation December about the Mahdi-hatter and his cult of the 12th Imam .

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/islam/...ims-47808.html
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2007, 11:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    Magprop and I had an interesting conversation December about the Mahdi-hatter and his cult of the 12th Imam .

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/islam/...ims-47808.html
    Thanks tom, I haven't ventured over to the Islam board yet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need investing 101 [ 3 Answers ]

Hello My husband and I are 30 years old and know nothing about investing... we are about to recive his annuity check that is 48,000 if we roll is over to an ira, but if we take it as a lump sum, we receive around 37,000. We are opting for the lump sum, because we want to use some of the money,...

Accounting 101: A/R and Income accounts [ 1 Answers ]

Hi -- a very basic question about the accounts behind the scene in QuickBooks. When I receive a payment from a customer (we are a contracting business) and A/R gets credited (correct?) what account gets the debit? Is it Construction Income? If so, what is the balance sheet account that Income...

Taipei 101 [ 1 Answers ]

What is the perimeter of Taipei 101? :confused:

Accounting 101 [ 1 Answers ]

Why do we adjust Interest Payable?

Need quick help with Acct. 101 homework [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine has a homework question she needs help with: How the heck to I post this? "Wells purchased 100 shares of Wells Consulting Services stock for $10,000" The only accounts I have to choose from are: Cash A/R Supplies

View more questions Search