Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kanikasharma091 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2010, 11:18 AM
    MBA degree holder, wish to work as a teacher
    Hello

I'm MBA n want to become a primary school teacher. I'm in Wilsonville Oregon.

#plzz tell me how to rase credentials in Oregon.
    #do I need to do certification(have 3 year working experience ,but in INDIA).
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 5, 2010, 11:26 AM

I am happy to know you want to become a teacher. The first thing you need to do is improve your English writing skills (and maybe reading ones too?). Even small children learn in school how to print their names and simple words. They also are read to by their teachers. Teachers are role models and must be a good example for reading, writing, and communication.

I believe all state have a certification system (that varies from state to state), so please contact Oregon's state board of education to find out that state's requirements. Here is their Web site --

State Board of Education - Oregon Department of Education
    happy2003 Posts: 43, Reputation: 8

Feb 16, 2010, 04:38 PM

Most states have programs that give people with degrees the opportunity to enter education and teach in their subject field of study if they have so many years of experience in an industry related to an offered certificate. It's called "Alternative Certification" or Alternative Licensing" most of the time. This is aimed to help fill the declining numbers of qualified Science and Math teachers at the secondary level so not all states take all people just because they have a degree. There might have to be a need in your state for specific teachers.

Across the board you can expect to be required to pass a certification test, take more education focused college classes, and go through a probationary teaching period.

The catch is all most all states require that you have an education degree, specifically for elementary, to teach the lower grades. Elementary teachers are the foundation layers for the rest of the child's school career. Secondary school builds on that foundation like bricks, allowing each teacher to be an expert in one area.

I am a teacher, without a teaching degree. This is how I received my credentials to teach and from my research most states are variations of the same idea. (I looked into trying to teach in a couple of states)

Hope this helps! Being a teacher is very very challenging... but very very rewarding!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MCA degree holder can teach in polytechnic college [ 1 Answers ]

MCA degree holder can teach in polytechnic college in india

Want to be a teacher, should I get a degree in education or in something else first? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have just graduated school with an IB diploma, and right now I want to be a teacher. However I don't know if I will still want to be a teacher in a few years time even though now it really appeals to me. Should I study to become a teacher and get a degree in education? Or should I get a...

Delhi mba degree [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know about jamia milia islamia unversity

View more questions Search