Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnlittle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2008, 04:44 PM
    Laptop won't boot from external hard disk
    I used Acronis 11 to clone the internal hd on my laptop to an external usb hd. I back up my desktop in this way and it works great. Internal drive breaks or gets zapped by a virus and I simply boot from the external.

If I boot normally and connect the external drive via USB after windows loaded the new drive is identified in explorer as drive f: and all files appear to be present. If I leave the hd plugged in and go into the BIOS and set the boot order to USB hard drive first I get an error message. I also tried removing the internal hd but no success.

I phoned tech support for this laptop and one rep told me you can't boot from an external drive another said you can.

Any help would be appreciated

John
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Apr 15, 2008, 04:52 PM
    What is the exact error message?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

External Hard disk gets no drive letter [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, (First apologies for my bad English: I'm Dutch and not a native English speaker). I'm want to use a hard disk from my Linux server as an external USB hard disk for my Windows XP (Dell) laptop. Working in Computer Management->Disk management, I can see the disk and it's partitioning, but...

External hard disk drive [ 4 Answers ]

Is there an external hard disk drive with an hdmi connection

Boot without hard disk [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how can we boot our client from network instead of hard disk?? SHAVED DO YOU KNOW THIS? Please help if every one know about this?

Boot linux from an external hard drive dual boot? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I boot linex from an external hard drive dual boot. How do I do it ?

Reformat the hard disk on a laptop PC [ 1 Answers ]

I have reformatted the hard disks on standard PCs. Is it the same for laptops? I am concerned about the battery monitoring systems. Help!?

View more questions Search