Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aws23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2009, 03:15 PM
    US citizen marries J1 visa holder joint filing and Fica tax implications
    I am a US citizen. I married last June 2008. My wife originally entered US on a J-1 Visa as a scholar in 2007 and filed taxes as nonresident for that year (NR1040). So for 2007 and 2008 no FICA taxes were deducted from her pay check. Now 2009 she is paying FICA. If we file a joint return for 2008 are we liable for FICA for 2008?

Thank you for your help!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 9, 2009, 07:34 PM

Yes, you can file joint return as residents. Then she must start paying FICA taxes from 2009. If she did not pay FICA taxes for 2008, then there is no way she can pay it herself.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 9, 2009, 10:43 AM
    She is NOT liable for FICA for 2008, even if you filed jointly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax filing for L2 dependent visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Sir I am an L1B visa holder and I have been here in US for the last 19 months. I had filed my returns last year. I recently got married (5 months back) and my wife is with me in Newjersey. She is not working. I have applied for her ead and hope to get it by this month end. I can get...

Tax for first year H-1b visa holder: chinese citizen [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Expert: I came to US in 2005 with F-1 visa. I got my OPT in October 2006 and got my H-1b visa February 2007. Now which form should I file? IRS mailed me a 1040 NR form but when I was using a free software online, it generatee a 1040 form for me. I emailed that company about my situation,...

H1B visa holder - filing status? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a H1B visa holder since October 2007. Before that I was on F1 I got married in December 2007 and my wife will join me in March 2008 Can I file as married and jointly for 2007 even though my wife never set feet in US before? Thanks, vijay

Whether to leave assets to US citizen or G4 visa holder [ 3 Answers ]

My father in law has an estate in VA worth about $500K and would like to leave it to the relative with the least tax impact. He and his wife are GC holders and his wife does not live in the US. She is also not interested in the estate. My wife and I are G4 visa holders, while our children are...

Filing Tax Returns for a J-1 visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Tax Experts: I am a J-1 visa holder,(single, have no dependants and no one can claim me as a dependant) Based on this status I am employed by a company. I filled out appropriate documents when I commenced my job. I worked for two months only last year 2007. (November and December). My...

View more questions Search