Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Plaiboi Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2013, 12:29 AM
    Laptop problem
    Can anybody please help me.

My laptop is password protected. Just my own user profile. I have a 'guest' profile also with no password which is what I'm on now.

One day out of the blue I went to log into my user profile and it said it failed to load. So I thought maybe I'd changed the password and forgot. I've been trying all different passwords for weeks now and nothing. I noticed though today that when I put in my original password it says failed to load but when I put in any other password it says password incorrect so I must not have changed passwords (I thought I was losing my mind or memory).

So has this ever happened to anyone? Can it be fixed?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2013, 07:00 AM
    The user profile might have actually been corrupted... in which case you won't be able to get into it. Which I have seen happen a number of times. (its happened on my own machines several times over the years)

You can do a restore from a recovery partition the means of which (as well as if it even can be done) will depend on which O/S and what brand and model it is.

YOU will lose all your data.. but that will fix many problems that would have cropped up over time.
    Plaiboi Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2013, 01:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    The user profile might have actually been corrupted....in which case you won't be able to get into it. Which I have seen happen a number of times. (its happened on my own machines several times over the years)

You can do a restore from a recovery partition the means of which (as well as if it even can be done) will depend on which O/S and what brand and modle it is.

YOU will lose all your data..but that will fix many problems that would have cropped up over time.
    Wow, thank you. Would this have been a virus that corrupted it? I don't know too much about computers :/
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2013, 06:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Plaiboi View Post
    Wow, thank you. Would this have been a virus that corrupted it? I don't know too much about computers :/
    Possibly but I'm willing to guess you have a hard drive starting to develop bad sectors.

I'm guessing it's a WIndows 7 machine... follow these steps.

How to use CHKDSK (Check Disk) | Windows 7 Forums

If its an earlier version like XP or Vista Google "using chkdsk"

Look for bad sectors at each step... you should have none... if you have thousands... look into a new hard drive soon.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Laptop problem [ 2 Answers ]

Touchpad cursor not working; have to attach a mouse via usb port to negotiate online and on keyboard

HP laptop problem [ 13 Answers ]

Yeah, I know, HP laptops are the worst. Please bear with me I had a problem with my laptop some months ago (it worked brilliantly till then): whenever I stressed it too much, it froze/shut down. I needed to wait 15-30 minutes before turning it on again, because it would shut down if I wouldn't...

Laptop problem [ 2 Answers ]

I have hp pavilion dv6 laptop I have problem that my laptop hang many time in a day I went to hp service center they told me that it is a problem in operating system so I install other copy of window but still I have same problem

Hp 550 Laptop problem [ 16 Answers ]

I have a power problem. If the computer is plugged into the adapter and the power button is pushed the fan will start for 2 or 3 seconds and then shut down. It will continue to do this continuously as long as it is plugged in. I turned it on the other night and it was still going off and on the...

View more questions Search