Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Johnmartini79 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2013, 11:57 PM
    Wifi hotspot monitoring
    I am using my personal computer at work, and am connected to the company's internet service by wire (LAN I think). I use a wifi hotspot application on my laptop to create a wifi hotspot, so that I can use my tablet to connect to the internet via the laptop wifi. Can my employer know what I am surfing on my tablet? Please email me a reply on (removed for privacy) as well. Thanks for helping! :)
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Mar 24, 2013, 12:06 AM
    I can check my router and see what sites my daughter has been to on her iPod... I imagine it's a similar situation at your place of work.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 24, 2013, 05:38 AM
    You need to review your company's policy on use of IT resources. Many companies have limited bandwidth and your use of that bandwidth for personal reasons may be a violation of that policy and grounds for dismissal.

ANY activity over a TCP/IP connection can be monitored. Both WiFi and wired connections are TCP/IP. Whether your company monitors your activity and to what extent I can't answer, but it is certainly possible for them to see EVERYTHING that goes over their network.

P.S. All questions are answered publicly. While an e-mail notice is sent that an answer was posted, we do not reply via e-mail

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Setting up a wifi hotspot [ 2 Answers ]

I run a small coffee shop and want to offer free wifi to my customers while also having a secure network for my point of sale system/internal network. What is the best way to do this on a limited budget? And what is the best way to protect the secure network?

Monitoring calls [ 2 Answers ]

My friend wants to get all calls from his cell phon in the past and future!how would she do that!

Wifi vs Wireless and AT&T's Free Wifi Service [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Everyone! I'm computer illiterate, and have a few questions. Please feel free to explain the most basic details. :) One, is wifi the same as a home wireless internet connection? If I disable Wireless Zero Configuration, could someone still utilize my free public wifi service at hotspots? ...

Desktop monitoring [ 6 Answers ]

Hi can anyone tell me which is better monitoring software other than VNC and LOGMEIN . And it should be easier to handle:confused:

View more questions Search