Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jay J Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2007, 01:43 PM
    Theft under 5000. 1st offense (Canada)
    Well, I am 20 years old and today I was caught taking 2 power bars from a supermarket. I was low on cash and thought I could get away with it and save a few bucks. I was wrong. This is my first offense. I have a court date for 5 weeks from now and I get finger printed in a few days. I told them my story (the truth) the total stole was 8.50, each bar was 4.25.

The cop said I may get an alternative punishment which will not be on my record, since this is my first offense. What would this be in the form of? Also how would I apply for a pardon if I am convicted and the offense it goes on my record. How long must I wait to get a pardon?

Thanks in advance.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2007, 02:24 PM
    You would probably do some sort of community service. And pay restitution to the store.
    I don't know about getting a pardon. More than likely this is going to be a misdemeanor.

EDIT:::::::::I just saw that you are in Canada - I have no knowledge of the laws there - I am in the US. So you can disregard.

Jun 8, 2007, 06:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NowWhat
    You would probably do some sort of community service. And pay restitution to the store.
    I don't know about getting a pardon. More than likely this is going to be a misdameanor.

EDIT:::::::::I just saw that you are in Canada - I have no knowledge of the laws there - I am in the US. So you can disregard.
    Anyone else? Thanks for the attempt though NowWhat:)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2007, 07:05 AM
    Hello J:

Sure. Look around. We have lot's of Canadian shoplifters. It seems that's all Canadians do is shoplift. I've never see, for example, a Canadian sex offender. Maybe you got something in the water up there...

excon

Jun 9, 2007, 08:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello J:

Sure. Look around. We have lot's of Canadian shoplifters. It seems that's all Canadians do is shoplift. I've never see, for example, a Canadian sex offender. Maybe you got something in the water up there....

excon
    Haha,

Yeah, I am hoping to get out of this with some kind of alternate thing. Anyone else have the details on those?
    cat_in_the_hat Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2007, 08:20 AM
    Well when I was about 18 I was caught stealing makeup at superstore. I ended up doing some kind of "get better" sessions at the salvatation army which cost me about $150, which lasted for a few weeks and never got a criminal record. And I definitely stole a lot more than $10.00 worth.
    keljai Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2007, 07:38 PM
    L was wondering when you had to pay the store back, when did they send the restitution cost. Becaseu for me its been almost a month and still haven't received
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 17, 2007, 08:19 PM
    From Wikipedia --

Theft in Canada (1st offence)

Theft is dealt with by Part 9 of the Criminal Code of Canada which is the part that covers property crime. Section 322 in Part 9 creates a general definition of theft, while other sections such as section 326 (which deals with the theft of gas, electricity and telecommunication services) define special kinds of theft. According to the general definition in section 322 a person steals a thing if he or she takes or converts it fraudulently, without colour of right and with intent to deprive the owner of it, either permanently or temporarily. For the purposes of punishment theft is divided into two separate offences by section 334 depending on the value and nature of the goods stolen. If the thing stolen is worth more than $5000 or is a testamentary instrument the offence is commonly referred to as Theft Over $5000 and is an indictable offence with a maximum punishment of 10 years imprisonment. Where the stolen item is not a testamentary instrument and is not worth more than $5000 it is known as Theft Under $5000 and is a hybrid offence, meaning that it can be treated either as an indictable offence or a less serious summary conviction offence, depending on the choice of the prosecutor. If dealt with as an indictable offence Theft Under $5000 is punishable by imprisonment for not more than 2 years and, if treated as a summary conviction offence, 6 months imprisonment, a fine of $2000 or both.

In the U.S. a first offender for theft, depending on the amount stolen, may be told by the judge to work so many community service hours (20-250), attend classes of some type, perhaps write an apology letter to the business owner, write an essay on a topic related to his offense, and/or pay a fine.

Wikipedia also mentioned that "Canadian criminals are more likely to be given alternative sentences than jail times and more money is put into rehabilitation."

Do you have a lawyer who might give you some hope about a sentence of community service work rather than jail time?
    cat_in_the_hat Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2007, 06:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by keljai
    l was wondering when you had to pay the store back, when did they send the restitution cost. Becaseu for me its been almost a month and still haven't received
    Honestly, I'm not too sure. It was over seven years ago. But I'm thinking that it happened shortly after I did the crime... a few months I'd say.
    I didn't even have to pay the store back. And no criminal record.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 18, 2007, 06:32 PM
    Look in this forum, as excon said there are bunches of threads with a similar theme. Those threads have the info you seek.
    myiwona Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 12:28 AM
    I have been dealing with shoplifters and other summary offenses in Canada for the past 14 yrs and have worked with youth diversion or first offender diversion programs. If you agree to participate in a diversion program, you are admitting your guilt... however this is the best course of action as you WILL NOT receive a criminal record of any kind, nor will you have to pay restitution beyond what you returned to the store upon your arrest... in this case the two bars. Some retailers utilize outside companies that specialize in what is called civil recovery. This must not be confused with a Diversion program. Civil recovery (if any attempted by retailer) is separate and distinct from any Criminal charges or Diversion program. In many cases, due to the nature of the case or what was said during the arrest... they have NO CASE and it is easily beaten.

Any other questions regarding theft under or arrest procedures? Feel free to ask.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under $5000-Canada [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I was caught for stealing at walmart. They brought me into the back room and did a police chack. Since it wamy first offense, I was pardoned. They didn't issue me a court date or anything, does this mean I don't have to go to court?. Do pardons show up on your record? I am currenlty looking...

1st Offense ever theft over $5000 [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to be charged with stealing money from work using credit card refunds to my personal account. The total is over 5k and under 20k. I have only been arrested before for a dui. I think I can pay it all back before I get charged. What am I looking at as far as being arrested. I live in...

Theft over $5000 in Canada [ 11 Answers ]

In May 2006, I had a merging of accounts at my bank. This deposited about $27,000 into my checking account. I called the bank and the call centre to get this straigtened out and no matter what, they insisted it was mine since all of my information was correct. I paid off a few bills and spent some...

First Offense Theft under 5000 for stealing a micky just turned 18 [ 1 Answers ]

Hey , My name is derrick and I just turned 18 December 1st, not that long after that I think it was January 7th I got arrested for stealing a mickey for rum for a friend, I've never been arrested before or charged with anything and I went to court they told me to get a lawyer and come back...

Theft under 5000, second offense [ 3 Answers ]

Three years ago, I got caught shoplifting a package of beef jerky. I was charged with theft under 5000. It was my first offense, and with a lawyer's help, successfully pleaded not guilty. I have no criminal record currently. I had to attend an anti-shoplifting seminar, write a report on it, as...

View more questions Search