Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ArnieH Posts: 68, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2009, 05:36 PM
    A/C Icing Over
    Our window unit's grill freezes over at least once/day.
    I have continually cleaned the filter, and gave the grill the time to thaw and dry.
    But still it happens.

??
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 13, 2009, 06:16 PM
    If the outdoor temperature is to cool many times a window unit will freeze over.

OR

The evaporator could be dirty

OR

The unit might have a small leak and be a bit short of refrigerant. It does not take much of a leak on a window unit to cause this problem.
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2009, 07:15 PM

If the coil, is not dirty sounds like it may be time for a new unit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Icing Dehumidifier [ 2 Answers ]

Why do the condensing coils on the dehumidifier ice up? This unit is in my basement and I can feel humidity and dampness is present. The unit is set to the #3 position on the dial.

Hvac Icing [ 1 Answers ]

Have an Electric Furnace/Heatpump. With central air. Replaced Electric Furnace in Sept. Today my tenant said that the 10 year old outside heat pump grates get "Iced" . Heat works OK, but sometimes have to turn it up to 72 or 73 degrees They say they always change the filter. When the new...

Very occasional icing [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10 yr old Trane XE1100 AC (no heat) which ices up at random unpredictable times. It has been doing this for several months. Cooling is good. I installed a new contactor recently because it showed black deposits at the contacts. The unit was recharged about a month ago, last time was 2...

Icing up [ 1 Answers ]

I turned the A/C on for the first time this season and the unit iced up. This is a heat pump and it worked fine during the heating season. Could it just be low on freon? Any other sugestions?

View more questions Search