Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    syedmazhar2007 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2007, 07:06 PM
    Last year 2006 my income was zero, do I need to file for tax
    Hi,

I arrived in US on H1B Oct 1st, 2006 and had zero income till the end of the year dec 2006. From jan I started earning.

Now do I need to file for return even my earnings were nil.

Please advise.
    student2worker Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2007, 07:32 PM
    How can you not have an income when you are on H1B? Please talk to your H1B sponsor. I think you are supposed to be a full-time salaried employee.

Apr 2, 2007, 07:45 AM
    Thank you for your kind and prompt reply . I am glad to receive your response.

Initially I agreed with my company to work as consultant on hourly basis and failed to get any project till dec 2006 and for 3 months my earning was zero in 2006.
    In Jan 2007 I agreed to become full time salaried employee and started working.

Do I need to ask w2 to my employer for Oct to Dec 2006. Even I my earningw was zero.

Do it have impact for if don't pay tax for oct to dec 2006 when I apply for my green card.

Please guide me what to do now as April 15th will be the end of date to file for return.

Apr 2, 2007, 02:56 PM
    I am not 100% clear about it but I think you need to be paid while you are on an H1B visa. You have the visa only because you are working. I am not very knowledgeable about this. This is something only an immigration attorney or a tax expert can help you with.

Apr 2, 2007, 04:28 PM
    Thank you for kind reply.

Can u recommend any tax experts or hook me to them.

Regards
    Mazhar

Apr 2, 2007, 04:38 PM
    I think some people don't file at all but I don't know the legality of it.

Contact 'Atlanta Tax Expert' who posts here. He seems to be knowledgeable. I have no links with him and I don't know him at all. I am basing this on his posts here and its only my opinion and not an advice.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 9, 2007, 01:57 PM
    Student2Worker:

Thanks for the endorsement!

Mazhar:

If you have no W-2 and did in fact earn no income in 2006, you have NO requirement to file a tax return. It IS a bit unusual, but not unprecedented.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes for changed status from OPT to H1-B during tax year 2006 [ 1 Answers ]

Filing taxes for someone who changed status from OPT to H1-B during tax year 2006

Am I mandated to file my Income Tax for 2006? [ 1 Answers ]

1. I arrived in the U.S. last Oct. 22 with H-1B Visa together with my four (4) children and my wife is still in my home country. Am I mandated by law to file my income tax return for 2006? 2. If I'm not madated to file and opt not to file, how can I possibly file an ITIN for my children...

How to file tax on paypal income. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I have a small website and I earned about 1000 USD. What form should I use to file tax for that income. All my income was earned using PAYPAL. Also, if I am on H1b can I legally run a website with ad-revenue? Please help. Thanks. Ankan

2006 taxes: F-1 OPT Income & Foreign Income [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a somewhat complicated question about my 2006 taxes... I came to the US in 2001 on a student visa (F1). After I finished my degree I worked one year under OPT, and I left when my OPT/visa expired in May 2006 and went home to my native country and got a job there. So basically I...

Do I need to file income tax during my F-1 Status? [ 1 Answers ]

During year 2004 (F-1 status) I sold merchandise on Ebay and earned a reasonable income. Do I need to file income tax for year 2004? If I do need to file Income tax do I have any benefits? Or different form to fill out? Currently I am working in this Company with my OPT (Started on January 05)

View more questions Search