Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dipchakrabarty Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2008, 11:04 AM
    GPA nightmare
    My daughter has a 2.76 undergraduate GPA (engineering) and is presently employed in Biotech field. She is definite about pursuing a MS but it seems all doors are closed for those with below 3.0 GPA. Can you please advise what needs to be done ?
    Thanks- D
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 10, 2008, 11:31 AM
    I think it all depends on what school your daughter is interested in. Where did she get her undergraduate degree, and what schools has she investigated for her MS? Has she taken the GRE, and if so, how did she do? It might help if she were to take and pass the EIT exam - I know that typically Civil Engineers bother with the Professional Engineer title, but in her case it might show that she has mastered typical undergraduate engineering material.
    dipchakrabarty Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2008, 01:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    I think it all depends on what school your daughter is interested in. Where did she get her undergraduate degree, and what schools has she investigated for her MS? Has she taken the GRE, and if so, how did she do? It might help if she were to take and pass the EIT exam - I know that typically Civil Engineers bother with the Professional Engineer title, but in her case it might show that she has mastered typical undergraduate engineering material.
    From U of Minnesota with a BioMed degree and she had applied for Madison and JHU.
    But this time she'll be targeting some East coast state universities.
    cosmicfish Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2008, 01:02 PM

Why does she want the masters? Job advancement in most engineering fields can happen with just the BS degree.

Does it have to be a research-based program? If so, she should try to work through senior engineers in her company to make some connections. They may be able to find her a decent program where she has a shot.

Otherwise - talk to the departments where she is interested. GPA is not a lifetime ban, but each school will have their own requirements for "rehab".
    cincity Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Feb 10, 2009, 04:01 AM

Tell her to take some extra classes... easy ones to boost her GPA! And don't give up... she needs to write papers and letters to the deans of every college she is interested in. All she needs to do is prove herself in order to get beyond this GPA setback and move ahead.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad Nightmare [ 1 Answers ]

I had a really bad nightmare last night, that stuck with me and kept me from sleeping the rest of the night. I jotted down a basic outline before the dream faded away. Anyone got any ideas what my subconscious is trying to tell me? • Some sort of acting/LARPing o I was running some sort of...

My sons nightmare [ 3 Answers ]

My son had a nightmare that he witnessed someone close to me murder me. Is there anything to worry about, is it possible that nightmares do come true? What would you do?

Bad nightmare [ 7 Answers ]

Yesterday night I saw a nightmare that am in a room with thirsty and thinking about food .after words an evil shaped object(black fibrous object) coming in side by intruding the concrete roof and put some fruits on the table in a pot and left the same way with out any holes or any marks on the roof...

Bad nightmare [ 1 Answers ]

Yesterday night I saw a nightmare in that am sitting in a room with thirsty afterwards a black object (flying fibrous black object) came inside by intruding the concrete roof and put some fruits in a pot on the table and left the same way without making any hole or mark on the roof (I watched it in...

Our nightmare [ 3 Answers ]

My live in boyfriend and I, both who are young professionals, who have never been in trouble before... have created our own little nightmare and now I need help... The other night we got into an argument and things got very heated. We slapped each other and the police were called. I was...

View more questions Search