Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Aug 17, 2009, 12:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    That's the sort of thing that I'm referring to.

Now if this was MALE only swimming there would be uproar !!!
    Here's my opinion of this:

I have no problem with Muslims wearing Muslim dress to the pool, in the pool or around the pool.

I have a huge problem with the government telling Muslims that they cannot wear their Muslim garb to the pool, in the pool or around the pool.

I have a huge problem with the government telling anyone else that they have to wear Muslim garb to the pool, in the pool or around the pool even if theyr aren't Muslim.

When I go away to kosher hotels, I often see separate swim hours for men and women as well as mixed swim time. There are also dress codes that generally adhere to Jewish Law for entering or leaving the pool area... mostly because the guests at such hotels EXPECT that a kosher hotel will abide by such laws. That's why they go to kosher hotels in the first place. I have no problem with that. The people going to the pool know beforehand what the rules are, the pool is run by the HOTEL which is a private organization. But again, that is within what is appropriate for PRIVATELY OWNED SWIMMING POOLS.

When it comes to city, state or federally-run locations, the government has no right to force a religious dress code (or lack thereof) on anyone. If someone wants to wear a burkini in the pool, the government neither has the right to stop them, NOR the right to force OTHERS to do the same.

So while France has gone too far in one direction, England, it seems, has gone too far in the opposite direction.

Elliot
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2009, 03:17 PM
    "The Law of the Land is the Law."
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine View Post
    Curly,

The best choice, as I have said before, is for people to move elsewhere, so that they can practice their religions in peace. But if that isn't possible, for whatever reasons... well then, one must do what one must do even in a hostile land.

Elliot
    Elliott I have said it all along it is better that these people remain where they are, where their religion is the law of the land. They show no respect by trying to change the law of the land they migrate to. And if they cannot respect the law of the land then return home. Assimilate or Go this must be the war cry

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

From Religious Affiliation to No Religious Association [ 17 Answers ]

I just wanted to know if there are people here who have chosen to leave a certain religious community and did not replace it with another...like going from Christianity to atheism for example... If so, what was it like to tell your family? Did they push you away, try to change you, or accept...

Religious marriage [ 2 Answers ]

I get married on May 18th 2007 in Chicago, Illinois. Our marriage ceremony was conducted in front of family and friends and the religious rites were performed by an Algerian priest in Chicago, without performing a civil marriage in USA. My question can I register my marriage with the document from...

Religious Origins [ 1 Answers ]

What is the origin of Daoism and Confucianism?

Religious Mystery [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm looking for a movie with the following actors: Robert Di Niro, Robert Divall, Charles Durney. It was a Catholic theme movie that had mystery and complications. I think the movie was made around 1980. I can't seem to remember the title though.? Please reply asap if you have any info that...

View more questions Search