Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jonegy Posts: 166, Reputation: 37

Jul 11, 2006, 03:13 AM
    Re: etymology...

my dictionary tells me:-... probably from scandinavian; compare Swedish "mugge" = pitcher with a handle.

Incidentally, I can't get hold of strong Brazilian (my personal favourite) round this part of the UK so I have to settle for Columbian. (I promise on the next trip to the supermarket that I will get some Java and give it a try )
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 11, 2006, 03:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello:

I don't drink coffee. It has caffeine in it. I am opposed to drug use. I work in a coffee shop. Should I be able to refuse to serve coffee to my customers on moral grounds?

excon
    Not in my coffee shop! You would be looking for another job the first time you refuse to sell coffee. The same goes in a pharmacy, Do the job you were hired for or get out!!
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2006, 11:53 AM
    As the other experts answered your boss could can you OR if your boss runs a coffee shop and chooses not to serve on his menue a double crapachino frappé then he is in his right as the employer not to have it on the menu and the State would have no business mandating that he must .
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2008, 10:27 AM

I know this is an old thread, but it was interesting.

It's obvious if you work for the coffee shop, you must serve coffee or be canned. Likewise, if you own the coffee shop you can choose not to serve anything at all if that floats your boat. My grocer is not obliged to carry my favorite brand of raisin/cinnamon bread.

But a pharmacy is a branch of the health care industry and I think that changes things a bit. Plus, there is the question of selling something like contraception to some people but not others. Can they do that? What if they refused to carry a blood pressure medication or any statins? It seems to me that they could make a case for not having certain things in stock, but it would be harder for them to give the same drug to some customers but not others.

Nowadays, I guess, this doesn't matter as much since you can order everything online...
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2008, 10:35 AM
    Hello again, asking:

The key is that you don't have to be licensed by the state to distribute coffee. If you did, I'm certain your license would dictate the terms of its issuance. Otherwise, why would the state have an interest?

Well, in terms of coffee, they wouldn't. However, in terms of medications, they certainly do. Now, I don't know if any state requires its pharmacists to dispense any and ALL drugs that his customers have prescriptions for, but they certainly SHOULD.

excon
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2008, 10:52 AM

"Should" is such a useful word! Of course, I agree.

Not sure what a pharmacy license says. But I'm guessing it has more to do with the interaction between doctors and pharmacists, controlled substances, purity and source of the drugs, and that sort of thing.
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2008, 10:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by asking View Post
    "Should" is such a useful word! Of course, i agree.
    Hello again, asking:

Me too. I have a prescription for marijuana. I'd MUCH rather buy it from Walgreens than the dealer on my streetcorner. But, that's another thread.

excon
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2008, 11:18 AM

Well, you COULD buy it from Walgreens, as Marinol.
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2008, 11:21 AM
    Hello again, asking:

Yeah, but that doesn't get you high. What? I'm not allowed to enjoy my prescription?

excon
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Nov 7, 2008, 07:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello:

I don't drink coffee. It has caffeine in it. I am opposed to drug use. I work in a coffee shop. Should I be able to refuse to serve coffee to my customers on moral grounds?

Excon

How about this:

I don't drink beer. It has alcohol in it. I am opposed to alcohol use. I work in a bar or liquor store. Should I be able to refuse to serve alcohol to my customers on moral grounds?

Or this:

Spitzer's Abortion 'Wrongs' - February 1, 2008 - The New York Sun

The Spitzer bill S.5829 is euphemistically called the Reproductive Health and Privacy Protection Act. It would raise abortion to the level of a fundamental right, like the freedom of speech, and would therefore prohibit virtually any restrictions at all. According to an urgent "news & action update" released by the New York State Catholic Conference and distributed at all masses last week, the act would force doctors to perform abortions; force Catholic hospitals to perform abortions; force health care insurance plans to cover them; force employers to purchase abortion coverage; authorize non physicians to perform abortions, and undermine parental involvement in the life decisions of their children.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Coffee [ 2 Answers ]

Is it true that coffee is fatteing? A friend of mine says that coffee is not fatteing itself but it slows down metabolism and therefore makes u fat. She reckons tea is the opposite (ie. Speeds up metabolism). My other question is this: I don't like the taste of plain milk so I usually put some...

Coffee Shop [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to start a small coffee shop but I have no idea how to start to find the information I need. Can anyone help to start me on the right path?

Coffee [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I have this question. Is drinking 4 cups of coffee daily bad for your sex.

Tea/coffee [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I just wanted to know some myths about coffee I want you to help me compare coffee with tea , since I have 2 to 3 cups Of either tea or coffee , or both (total) 1) I have a stammering problem , will consuming coffee increase it ? 2) does coffee cause acne , pimples 3) does coffee cause...

View more questions Search