Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 9, 2010, 12:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelayoak44 View Post
    He's not large enough to be mastiff, I mean that's the first thought that came to my mind. He has really soft hair but nothing fine like a boxer/pit etc.
    He wouldn't be as large as a mastiff because of the other breeds in him. That's the joy of a mixed breed, you never really know what you're going to get in terms of size, temperament, or looks. It's anyone's guess. :)

You have a beautiful dog, he looks healthy and well cared for, that's really all that matters in the long run.

I have a border collie mix that acts nothing like a border collie. When you look at him the border collie is the breed that stands out the most, the other breeds involved in his makeup are pretty well hidden. He's lazy (not a border collie trait), tall (for a border collie), and really doesn't like to herd all that much, but when people see him they assume he's a border collie. Thankfully he is smart like a border collie, so that's a plus. :)

Then there's my border collie lab mix. His father was purebred border collie, his mother was border collie/lab, but he looks nothing like a border collie. His siblings do, but he's more like a black lab. The only thing even close to border collie about him is his tail and his head. Not the look of his head, but the size. His head is too small for his body because of the mix. His fur is very soft and a bit longer, unlike a lab, but other then that he's more lab then border collie, even though the border collie really should have been more prominent.

Either way, you have a beautiful dog. Congrats. :)
    michaelayoak44 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2010, 04:36 PM

Yea I know, that's just the way I am, I'd like to know for sure what all he is. But, the thing is, the other possible breeds are all fairly large, so that's what led me to believe there's a slim chance he could be mastiff. Ah, who knows when it comes to mixed breeds. Thanks for everyone's help!

May 9, 2010, 04:37 PM

Thanks for all of the comments on my little beauty =)!
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

May 9, 2010, 04:39 PM
    Thanks for all of the comments on my little beauty =)!!
    He definitely is a beauty and looks very happy. :)

May 9, 2010, 04:51 PM

Oh, and also, what kind of dogs have underbites? His is so bad, almost every time he shuts his mouth his lip gets caught haha, it's hilarious.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 9, 2010, 05:03 PM
    Oh, and also, what kind of dogs have underbites?? His is so bad, almost every time he shuts his mouth his lip gets caught haha, it's halarious.
    That's Boxer straight up.

May 9, 2010, 05:35 PM

That's about the only quality that makes me believe he has some Boxer in him.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 9, 2010, 06:03 PM

Chihuahua's are also known to have and underbite, but I doubt that's a part of his mix. ;)

May 9, 2010, 08:31 PM

Haha you never know! =P
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2010, 08:44 PM

He is beautiful:D The first picture was majestic, like a Pharaoh:)

May 10, 2010, 09:47 AM

Aw, thanks! So considering he has a very prominent underbite, that only means he comes from Boxer? That's the one thing I can't figure out, other than Chihuahuas (haha) what other dogs have underbites?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

May 10, 2010, 09:50 AM

The most common dogs that have underbites are the "bully breeds". Such as bulldogs, mastiffs, etc. But I have also seen small breeds with underbites. I have also seen labs & golden retrievers with underbites. So unfortunately, there's not really a specific breed that has underbites
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 10, 2010, 09:53 AM

It doesn't necessarily mean he definitely has Boxer (although he does look like it), there are quite a few breeds that have an underbite, it can also happen in any breed if the breeding isn't very good.

Ummm... Chihuahua don't have an underbite, they have a level or scissor bite :p

May 10, 2010, 09:57 AM

Really? Wow, I thought that the underbite was kind of like the purple tongue; when you buy a breed you will know for sure if they have it or not, depending on the breed of course. So the labs and goldies, were they purebred? What exactly causes the underbites? Since he's so large (I am actually taking him to get him weighed very soon since he's grown so much in the past few months) I thought maybe he was American Bulldog, since they are indeed larger than Boxers. But I wasn't sure due to his prominent underbite. I don't think I've ever seen a Boxer as large as him, and pitbulls are a medium dog as well. He hates stairs and what not so I have to literally lift him into my car (I have an H3 that sits up far from the ground) and I simply can not do it by myself. I have to have someone help me, and I'm not weak by all means. I can lift my Boxer with ease but definitely not him haha, it's quite comical. It's funny because when we were battling his mange all of the vets said he was at least Boxer, and everywhere I went people asked if he was pitbull, no matter where we were.
    Dogs Expert

May 10, 2010, 10:02 AM

I find he looks very pit bullish maybe even Am staff which tend to be a bit bigger than the pit bull.. Yes the Goldies and Labs were definitely pure bred. It's just genetics really that cause under bites. Nothing to worry about unless they are having issues chewing. Sometimes when they are teething if their baby teeth don't fall out or one side of their mouth grows faster than the other it can cause an under bite or what is called wry mouth.

May 10, 2010, 10:08 AM

That is so cool, I never knew that. I come from a very rural place so any fairly exotic breeds (not even exotic really) don't thrive here. I've always wanted a Presa Canario and if I do I'll have to drive many hours just to reach the closest breeder. However, anyone can buy a dog, but but not a whole lot of people want an older pitbull in the pound, so I'll be rescuing again with my next dog =). I love his underbite though, he's just the cutest and sweetest pitbull mastiff looking dog you'll ever meet. He has no problem other than his lip getting caught and looking like he's making faces =P. Other than that, everything's great and I couldn't be happier with my mix who I've spend an ungodly amount on because of his illness. Wouldn't have it any other way!
    Dogs Expert

May 10, 2010, 10:10 AM

I have two staffy rescues. So I commend you on rescuing!

May 10, 2010, 10:12 AM

Thanks, and thanks for your help =)
    Dogs Expert

May 10, 2010, 10:13 AM

You're welcome! Anything else you want to know just ask. :)

May 10, 2010, 10:14 AM

I know I have more questions, but just give me a little bit to remember them haha!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What breed of dog, is my dog Annie? [ 10 Answers ]

Can you help me figure out what kind of dog Annie is? The rescue told me that she was a shepherd mix, but what else? She is the sweetest dog. I have had for over 2 years. She was abused by someone and is terrified of people. She loves other dogs, especially her brother Nicky. It took me over...

What is the breed of this dog? [ 15 Answers ]

She is only four weeks old and we got her from our local animal shelter. She has bowed legs and tiny ears like a bulldog. But she doesn't look like any of the bulldog puppies. She has thick, rather fuzzy, very soft fur.

Puppy coloring for a mixed breed [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible for a white poodle and gray/white schnauzer to have black coated puppies? The owner says ithats what happened. I just want to be sure before bringing the puppy home. I am looking for a dog that would be easy on my allergies. Thanks

What breed of dog? [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone know what kind of dog the little white dog in the Caesar dogfood commercial is? Riding in the convertible with it's owner?

How large will my mixed breed dog get [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Newfoundland Black Lab Mix puppy. He is almost 6 months old. He weighs about 65 pounds. His father weighed about 130 and his mother 80. How big can I expect him to get?

View more questions Search