Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 23, 2009, 03:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Girl View Post
    I love butternut squash because it tastes great and it's so versatile...it kind of reminds me of sweet potato or pumpkin.

Stew:
    pour olive oil in a large pot, add chopped onions, bell pepper, crushed garlic, stir. When brown add chopped squash, stir. Add water to prevent sticking. Add your spices and herbs such as curry, a bit of cinnamon, basil, thyme, and any other along with sea salt and black pepper. Stir and add 2-3 cups of chopped or crushed tomato and a can or 2 of tomato sauce. Add in any veggies and legumes lsuch as broccoli, carrots, and lentils. You can even add chicken before you brown the onions and garlic.
    What a lovely recipe, goldy, you made my mouth water !

Tick
    Golden_Girl Posts: 1,930, Reputation: 60
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2009, 04:16 PM

Oh thanks Tickle
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2009, 10:43 PM

Butternut squash pie. Mmm. That sounds good.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2009, 11:04 PM
    Hi, All!

Would Butternut Squash pie be similar to Rhubarb pie?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2009, 03:54 PM
    I never had rhubarb pie, but from looking at the photos of it looks like it tastes good. I would think butternut squash pie may look similar to sweet potato pie and pumpkin pie. How it would taste depends on how it is flavored.
    summer7 Posts: 344, Reputation: 44

Sep 27, 2009, 03:28 AM

Go to RecipeZaar.com.
    They have the best recipes and provide a star grading system.
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2009, 11:55 PM
    Thanks everyone who has posted recipes here! :)

Any additional ones to add?

Thanks!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2009, 04:01 PM

I've never eaten squash. Don't know why, but just never got around to eating it. I was 20 when I ate my first cranberry sauce by the way and 50 (yes 50) when I tried macaroni salad and potato salad. And yes, I know I am strange in my eating habits. But I am now a macaroni and potato salad afficianado having sampled both all around the country.

But, that said I do love pumpkin and have made a pumpkin cheese cake that is scrumptious.

The receipe is very easy. Just take your favorite cheesecake receipe and add one cup of canned pumpkin to it with some pumpkin pie spice and mix well and bake as you normally would. It is divine to put it mildly if you like pumpkin.

Clough, I did get a 7 qt pressure cooker and I just made a wonderful regular cheesecake in it Saturday night. I have eaten almost the entire pie all by myself topped with the strawberries I froze over the summer. That cheesecake came out so moist and tasty unlike cheesecakes I made in the regular oven.
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2009, 12:33 PM

Twinkie, you don't know what you're missing out on! :)
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2009, 04:34 PM
    I remember rarely eating squash growing up, I don't know why either. And then a few years back I was reading all of these good benefits with squash and after preparing it I was pleasantly surprised. I almost forgot about the squash seeds! I like to chew on the cooked butternut squash seeds and then throw the shell away, it has a really nice taste. I always wanted to try pumpkin seeds.

Pumpkin cheese cake.. hmmm sounds good Twinkie, I love cheese cake and haven't had it in a few years now... I like to eat twinkies too.
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2009, 10:32 PM

My aunt got me into squash. I never ate it when I was little because my mother hated all vegetable and vegetable-like things. And then told me I hated them too. Lol butternut squash is my favorite so far. But it's fun to try others.
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2009, 10:37 PM
    Hi Again, All!

What about the difference between using a microwave versus a conventional oven to prepare the squash?

Do you think one is better to use for preparing them by heating, cooking, baking, etc.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2009, 10:47 PM

When I'm using a fresh squash, I like the oven. But if I'm hurrying, I'll get the little bags of already but up squash and microwave it.
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2009, 11:41 PM
    Hi, justcurious55!

So, are you saying the your preference for preparing the squash is really to use the oven, if that's possible?

For example, to you, does it taste better to use the oven?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2009, 11:06 AM

I don't like it when I gets mushy. And even an extra 30 seconds in my microwave can over do it. The oven takes longer, but I'm able to watch it better and keep it from getting mushy. So yeah, I guess it tastes better.
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2009, 04:14 PM
    I am looking forward to trying different squash this fall. I always wanted to try spaghetti squash to sometimes substitute it for pasta. You can microwave it a bit, but for best results finish it off in the oven if you can. I have prepared it in a pot of boiling water and in the oven, depends on the texture you want. I have read some people grilling it too.
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2009, 02:28 PM
    Hmmm...

I hadn't considered the texture thing. Thanks to both of you for pointing that out! :)
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2009, 06:23 PM
    Clough have you started preparing any of the squash yet? I would love to see photos, as it is getting cooler by the minute down south and all I'm thinking about these days is squash recipes and eggnog!
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2009, 11:27 AM
    Hi, Golden_Girl!

No, I haven't prepared any of it yet, but I do plan to, soon!

Squash lasts for quite awhile if it hasn't been cut yet.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2009, 05:33 PM
    Yeah, that's one of the great things with them. They last long and remain fresh.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any good dip or snack recipes [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I am having friends over for the labor day weekend and I am bored with the same ole dip and snack recipes. Does anyone have any great recipes that they like? I would love to swap some if anyone is intereted.

Any good meal recipes? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! I was wondering.. do any of you have healthy dinner recipes that you could let me know of? Me and my boyfriend have been dieting together for a little over a month now and we have been eating basically baked chicken and salad for dinner since then, because we don't know of any good healthy...

Any good recipes with pineapple as main ingredient? [ 10 Answers ]

I'm just looking for a good recipe with pineapple being the main ingredient... Thanks!:D

Any good Recipes for Atkins? [ 7 Answers ]

I have been trying to loose weight for about 4 years now and nothing has worked, I gained 30 pounds with my first child and then got pregnant 13 months later with my second child so I gained 32 lbs with her. So I am about 60 lbs overweight and So I decided to start the Atkins diet, and let me tell...

View more questions Search