Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    celyn Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2008, 10:13 AM
    White Blood Cells
    Me and my husband has been trying for a baby for 3 yrs now. I have been for blood tests and they came back that my fertility is fine but I have a low white cell count What does this mean ? Please anyone tell me? I have got to wait another month for further blood tests... he said there is nothing to worry about, but I am!!
    ashleyl Posts: 23, Reputation: 6

Mar 18, 2008, 10:44 AM
    White blood cell all contribute to the same general function, which is to protect the body from infectious diseases and to provide immunity to certain diseases. A high WBC count is called leukocytosis and is often an indication of infection. Leukopenia is a low WBC count and may present at the early stage of a disease. Exposure to radiation or chemicals such as benzene may destroy WBCs and lower the count.
    2008chrissy Posts: 131, Reputation: 18

Mar 23, 2008, 11:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by celyn
    me and my husband has been trying for a baby for 3 yrs now. I have been for blood tests and they came back that my fertility is fine but i have a low white cell count What does this mean ? Please anyone tell me? I have got to wait another month for further blood tests.... he said there is nothing to worry about, but i am!!!

If your doctor tells you there is nothing to worry about, then chances are he is right.

There is no absolute cut-off number for what is normal from one person to the next for any test. Of course there are reference ranges that we go by, but just because your WBC count is 3.1 for example and the "normal" is 4 - 10 does NOT mean there is anything wrong with you at all. Just like your weight "should be" between 120-140 doesn't mean if you weigh 145 that you are unhealthy. Understand?

I am a medical technologist (the person who would perform this test) and I assure you that if it was low enough for him to be worried, he would have let you know.

What you can do is call and ask the nurse what your WBC count was and let me know. Or better yet, every time you have labs done at your doctor's office, ask for a copy to take home for your files. I always do this so I can review the results myself.

I doubt blood count results have anything to do with your fertility. The worst thing I could think of is you would get sick more often because white blood cells are what fight against bacteria and viruses and such.

I hope this helps.
    celyn Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2008, 12:56 PM
    I've had another blood test today!! The nurse brought up my files and wbc was 3.0... she asked if I bruised a lot, which I do! But I'm never get ill. I think the last time I was badly ill was 12 yrs ago... waiting for these results now!
    2008chrissy Posts: 131, Reputation: 18

Apr 3, 2008, 09:26 PM
    3.0 is a little low but if you never get sick then I don't think it's causing you a problem. And as for the nurse who asked if you bruised a lot - Platelets disorders are what causes bruising not your WBC count. A lot of times "nurses" at doctors offices aren't nurses at all. They are CNA's (nursing assistants) or medical assistants. Or in some cases they don't have any kind of formal training. So be weary of anything they say, listen to your doctor firstly. :)
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Apr 4, 2008, 08:23 PM
    eMedicine - Neutropenia : Article by John E Godwin

Don't mean to scare you

Look at the medicines listed as potential causes.

If this low white cell count, leukopenia, persists perhaps you should see a hematologist

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Human Blood or animal blood? [ 13 Answers ]

Hello anyone. I'm a newbie here, hope to find some help here. I'm a student taking degree in biomedical science. I'm required to produce a research project in order to get my degree. I'm interested in forensic science so I choose it to be my field of research. I wonder how a real crime scene...

Blood Results show Protein in my blood? [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know what that could mean or be a sign of? What is this doctor testing for?

The Cells [ 2 Answers ]

What would happen if the nucleus was taken out?

Clicking differnet cells and it selecting all cells [ 2 Answers ]

Just wondered if anyone knew what I did to get ms excel to select all cells from A1 to what ever cell I clicked on. Thought it was sticky keys but it was turned off. Clicked left mouse button and it moved cells then when I clicked other cells it started using that as a new ref point and selecting...

The blood shed & the blood sprinkled! [ 4 Answers ]

THE BLOOD SHED & THE BLOOD SPRINKLED In the Old Testament and the New Testament sacrificial "Blood" is spoken of in two ways;i.e. "The Blood shed and the Blood sprinkled." IN THE OLD TESTAMENT WHAT WAS THE APPLICATION OF "SHED BLOOD" RE "ATONEMENT" (the 'moment the Blood became...

View more questions Search