Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rawadhamwi Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2008, 08:27 AM
    Removing light
    If I have a light of frequency "x" and a generate another light of freuency "-x" and the 2 waves are superposed. Does the 2 waves cancel each other or does that light disappear?
    Thank you.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2008, 08:33 AM
    You can't have a negative frequency O_o

Mar 9, 2008, 12:27 AM
    Not negative but opposite
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2008, 12:32 AM
    You mean pi radians out of phase, but the same frequency?

The resultant wave is still there, it just has zero net amplitude.

Mar 9, 2008, 12:42 AM
    If the amplitude is 0, does the light disappears like sounds? If no, please tell me why?
    Thanks
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2008, 12:54 AM
    The light is not observable, but it is still there. Sound does not disappear when it is destructively interfering either - it's just that one wave is counteracted by another.

The NET amplitude is zero, but the individual waves still have amplitude and still exist.
    Benjimeister Posts: 83, Reputation: 6

Mar 10, 2008, 11:57 PM
    Imagine having two jets of water in your face, one that's scalding hot and one that's ice cold. In the end, you get a face full of warm water, but the water is still there. Eh?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leviton PR150 Motion LIght Control Flickers light instead of keeping them on [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I installed a Leviton Motion Sensor Light Control (PR150). In the on position it works fine, the lights are one. But on auto it seems to only flicker the lights. They do not get to full brightness and they flash. It looks like the sensor is also acting weird as the LED light on the...

Hampton Bay Lighting - Upper Light Does Not Work But Low Light Does [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay Fan that has a fan, upper lighting and lower lighting with a remote model UC7078T. The remote works for the fan and lower lighting but not the upper lighting. This means the remote and fan are on the same frequency. I've confirmed that the bulbs are all good. Can't find a...

Removing faucet handle after removing screw on top [ 7 Answers ]

My hot water is leaking.. I remove the top screw on the handle; the handle won`t come off.. should I try and pry it off or is there another screw somewhere that I don`t know about? This is a two handle-one spout faucet.

Light at own home produces sound when light at neighbor's house is switched on [ 4 Answers ]

I've moved into an apartment. I noticed that whenever I switched on my fluorescence light and when my neighbor switches on his light, my fluorescence light would produce a 'rrrrr' or 'mmm' sound which sometimes can be loud and irritating. I have tried changing the light bulb and even the ballast...

Removing marks from light oak furniture [ 1 Answers ]

:eek: We have a solidlight oak wood table which someone stood a chilled alliminium lager can on in 2 place and we can't get the stain out - anyideas? Also on another piece of solid light oak wood furniture the rubber pads on the bottom of the telephone have left marks which we can't seem to...

View more questions Search