Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    love_pup_321 Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Mar 3, 2008, 07:46 PM
    Brother in law problems
    My brother in law has nothing he is trying to sell off all of his possesions and move he recently came into some money but spent it all in 2 months and still has nothing to show for it. He is now giving and posting my address as his, giving our phone number to debt collectors. He has told many people I know that he owns a house, rv, and a boat all of which belong to me and my hubby. He also claimed that my son was his, until I announced it to my hubby in front of my brother in law he changed his tune quick on that issue. Then at the bar the other night he HIT UP on MY mother and told people he was my hubby even though we have not had any other form or relationship other than in laws. Should I talk to my hubby about how much this bothers me, even though his brother is the only family he has left. Please give me advice I don't know what to do.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2008, 08:01 PM
    Only based on what you have said, I would certainly let your husband know that these actions by your brother in law bother you.

Having said that, I also would question the brother in laws mental stability. He may be in a position where he wishes he could trade places with his brother. He may be envious or actually believe what he is saying. He might want desparately to take his brother's place in life... as he may not value his own life and circumstances much. Without knowing him, I can only question about what he may be led to do... if his desires to have his brother's life become stronger than he has already shown them to be.

You mentioned that he has nothing, and his brother, your husband, has house, rv, boat, and you. Going so far as to claim your son tops everything else. He is trying to place himself in his brother's life!

By using your address and phone number, he is setting you up for a lot of harassment from collectors.

He might be your husband's only family, but I personally think he is pushing that family connection well past the breaking point.

Having hit on your mother, seems to indicate that he is very drunk... then I wonder if he knew it was your mother... or thought it was you?? If he is planning on moving in with you, I would suggest you NOT go along with that idea. It sounds like major trouble.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2008, 08:05 PM
    It sounds like he is so envious of your husband that he is delusively trying to live his life.
    You need to discuss it with your husband and get a stop put to it.
    Get your number changed if you have to---and don't let him have it!
    love_pup_321 Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Mar 4, 2008, 09:02 AM
    Thank you for your help. I think I will talk to my hunny about the issue and There is NO WAY IN **** I would let him move in with us. If does come to that it will be him or me and my baby.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2008, 09:22 AM
    I think he needs some type of medical/mental intervention. With the horrible things that I keep reading about,I would urge hubby to get him help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do I call my brother in law [ 6 Answers ]

My husband's sister died two year's ago and her husband is getting remarried. What do I call him now when I introduce him? My ex-brother-in-law?

Relationship to Brother-in-law [ 3 Answers ]

Is my husband's brother-in-law also my brother-in-law? What does it mean for a relative to be once removed?

My sister in law is looking for her brother. [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for ancestors of this person. She went by Eleonore Schlund born 04-03-1939. Not sure of the year of birth. She had a child male born 1954-55 and a female born 05-17-1956. She was adopted and moved to the United States at birth or shortly afterwards. She was given to DeForest Wood and...

Annoying Brother in Law [ 1 Answers ]

My sister is due to get married to her fiancé next August and for the previous two years he has lived at our house. The plan is for them to move out after the wedding but personally I don't see this happening. Its not that I'm a nasty person just that my home life has been a nightmare since his...

View more questions Search