Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zqueez Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2008, 12:31 PM
    Sharing Printers
    We have one main computer where everything is connected to: modem, router, and printer. Then we have 3 other computers - 2 connected via wireless and one, connected w/an ethernet cable to the router.

The problem is sharing the printer. The printer is connected via USB to the main computer. The printer is shared but I cannot see the printer from the other computers. Can you please advise me on the right configurarations so I can print from the other computers?

Thank you for your help.

-Charisse
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 21, 2008, 12:37 PM
    I've found the best way to do this is to install the printer as a local printer on the other machines. During the process you will be prompted to select the port for the printer. Instead of choosing LPT1: select TCP/IP and add a new TCP/IP port using the IP address of the PC the printer is connected to.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 21, 2008, 01:10 PM
    You are looking for trouble if your main PC is not a dedicated server. If there is also an operator using the PC then with everything else being on the one PC, the PC may appear to slow down at peak usage times.

I'd suggest that you take some of the load off the main PC, like move the printer to another PC and share it from there. Also, be aware that even though you may have a secure (password protected network router) you are still wide open on the wireless network clients. If the distance is not too extreme, please consider consider Cat5 cable connections to the router instead of wireless.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HP Printers [ 1 Answers ]

How do you prevent the maintenance kit alarms on hp printers from coming on? Can it be done.

Sharing printers between Vista and XP [ 1 Answers ]

I have a wireless network with several XP PC's attached. They all can share printers. I bought my son a new laptop that has Vista installed. The laptop connects into the wireless network... no problem. But it will not recognize any of the shared printers defined on the network. Is there a problem...

All in one printers [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am researching printers that use generic ink. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You, Rob9

Printers [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem installing any printers on my windows xp media centre. It always says access deined. Can anyone help?

Printers [ 1 Answers ]

:(Hello Everyone) Anyone I am having a real rough time trying to figure this one out, Loaded a firmware on my printer, and now it's sending characters we do not understand, we talked to a tech, and he explained to us that the firmware that was loaded had brain washed the printer into believe that...

View more questions Search