Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arunavcd Posts: 89, Reputation: 3

Jan 20, 2008, 07:23 AM
    Hard Drive and My Computer
    Hi all my Intellectual Brothers and Sisters,

I have been having problem with 1 of my external drives. I use 2 external hard drives on a desktop PC.

Both were working properly and set autoplay. But yesterday, as I was playing a video file from the current faulty hard drive, the USB cable moved and lagged for a while. While I tried to play again from the faulty one, it didn't anymore.

Now, whenever I inject the faulty hard drive, I can open my Computer but can't see any drive there as it shows MY Computer Not Responding. Further, when I close the Program using Task manager, only the Desktop can be seen without any icon. But When I plug out the Hard Drive from USB port, it starts to work again.

Hope I was able to explain what I was trying to. FYI, I can use other Hard Drives with no problems.

What can I do now? Any recommendation?

Thanks in anticipation for your kind response.
    xphelper Posts: 220, Reputation: 29

Feb 16, 2008, 09:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by arunavcd
    Hi all my Intellectual Brothers and Sisters,

I have been having problem with 1 of my external drives. I use 2 external hard drives on a desktop pc.

Both were working properly and set autoplay. But yesterday, as I was playing a video file from the current faulty hard drive, the USB cable moved and lagged for a while. While I tried to play again from the faulty one, it didn't anymore.

Now, whenever I inject the faulty hard drive, I can open my Computer but can't see any drive there as it shows MY Computer Not Responding. Further, when I close the Program using Task manager, only the Desktop can be seen without any icon. But When I plug out the Hard Drive from USB port, it starts to work again.

Hope I was able to explain what I was trying to. FYI, I can use other Hard Drives with no problems.

What can I do now? Any recommendation?

Thanks in anticipation for your kind response.
    Unplug all unnecssary USB devices and try the hard drive on different ports, try a different USB cable, delete all USB references in device manager and reboot to rebuild them, if you have an Intel mobo, download and install the latest chipset drivers from Intel (provided your mobo has a supported chipset). See here:
    Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility - Do I need the Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility?

If all of the above fail, I'm guessing your external hard drive is just bad.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boot computer and wipe off hard drive to sell [ 3 Answers ]

I have a software to wipe off the hard drive of my computer but I don't know how to boot it so that I can use the software. I do not want to reinstall anything because I am going to sell it. thank you

Install Xp on a 2nd Hard drive for another computer! [ 3 Answers ]

Well basical I brought this laptop for cheap which works but has no key board and the screen is cracked. (a bad combination I have just found out.) Well the guy that sold it to wiped the hard drive before he gave it to me and now I can't insatll xp on it firstly because I can't use my usb...

Can't get hard drive out of computer [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to get a hard drive out of an old Dell Dimension XPS T600r. It's mounted vertical up along the front of the box... not attached by side screws. How do I get this thing out? Thanks!

How do I make my hard drive to show in my computer [ 2 Answers ]

:( I have a problem with my hard drive, secon hard drive I connected as slave it shows up in device manager but not in disk management and it also shows up in the bios, any help

Connect 2nd Hard Drive, from other Computer [ 3 Answers ]

I have Dell Dim2100 'XP' with Western Digital Hard Drive + 384Mb RAM. I have a Maxtor 19Gb Hard Drive from my earlier '98SE' which I want to use as Back-up/Storage, preferably internally but can't get it to locate as a secodary Drive using the IDE connection cable - is the solution an IDE/USB 2.0...

View more questions Search