Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dsherrell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2007, 02:10 PM
    Puppies with fleas
    I have 3 week old puppies with fleas. What can I do to get rid of them?
    zyi Posts: 30, Reputation: 3

Dec 6, 2007, 05:22 PM
    This may sound crazy but take a lice comb and comb them out. That way you won't have to bathe them. Also you are going to have to bathe the mother in like baby shampoo and comb her too. Then clean out all beding and the area. But remember no sprays. Hope that helps!
    kadit Posts: 18, Reputation: 0

Dec 6, 2007, 05:58 PM
    You might try bathing them in dawn dish soap, letting it sit for just a bit, rinsing them off, and then combing them with the lice comb. Dawn is gentle enough it won't hurt them and I've even used it baby kittens with the same problem. Dogs are easier though as you can use Vinegar on them after you rinse them. I know it reeks but it kills the eggs and any fleas that the dawn didn't smother. Some people I know leave it on so they won't have to repeat the process, but I've never been able to tolerate the smell that long, so I always end up leaving it on for 10 to 15min (make sure your bathroom is nice and warm though) and rinsing it off. They'll still smell but at least it's bareable.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2007, 08:07 PM
    The flea comb may be good for getting rid of the existing fleas. Washing in Dawn, although recommended by many inexperienced people, can create reactions. Your vet can likely supply safe, effective products for 3 week olds. You will need to treat your house and yard with a product that kills both fleas and their eggs, but is safe for young puppies. The mother also needs to be on an effective product save for lactating mothers. With the range of modern flea remedies, I see little excuse to allow a dog to whelp in a flea infested environment. I have to wonder if you should be breeding at all if you muff a basic like that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Newborn Puppies with Fleas, PLEASE help [ 6 Answers ]

My Jack Russell Terrier just had her first set of 3 healthy male puppies. They are only 2 weeks old, and their eyes have just now began to open. They have a MAJOR flea problem. I know all puppies have fleas but I mean its so bad I end up flea combing 20 off at a time and many more, and I flea comb...

5 day old puppies have fleas [ 5 Answers ]

I don't want anyone jumping on me. We were given a female Chihuahua a little over a month ago and at the time we didn't know she was pregnant. We have had two Chi's for 9 years, both spayed, one recently passed away from CHF. We are responsible pet owners... never any puppies until now. Our new...

Fleas on Puppies [ 5 Answers ]

What kind of treatment can you give 4wk old puppies?

Fleas on puppies [ 6 Answers ]

My niece has a new puppy 6 months old ,what can we do about fleas?

Puppies and fleas [ 11 Answers ]

My puppies are 2weeks old and they are covered in fleas what can I do or what can I use on them

View more questions Search