Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AJ300 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2007, 10:25 PM
    Wondering about negative pregnancy test.
    The first day of my last period was on October 18, I haven't had it since, I took a pregancy test Monday morniing, it came back negative. If anyone knows anything about diabetes, can ketones mess up your result?
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2007, 10:42 PM
    Not an expert in this area, but I putter around here.

I've heard about fertility meds causing potential false positives, but nothing about diabetic ketone bodies and a false negative... usually the culprit with negatives is too early testing, incorrect testing and procedure, or the rare situation where the hormone isn't being excreted in the urine to the "normal" levels, but is present in the blood.

No chance that you were recently pregnant (miscarriage) before this cycle was missed? I'm assuming that things were normal before this missed period. Has your body been stressed? Diabetes been under control or has there been any problems?

Just remember, even if you aren't menstruating you still can potentially get pregnant with unprotected sex...

Dec 4, 2007, 11:20 PM
    No, I've never been pregnant. And my periods are pretty normal, my blood sugars have been running high for a little while now, my doctor and I are working on that, I've been diabetic for a few years now, That's why I was wondering, Cause I don't usually miss my period.
    TzAngels Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2007, 11:33 PM
    Hi AJ. I have given birth to 10 beautiful children and had 6 miscarriages and in my experience a NEG result doesn't mean your not pregnant. I even had a false positive one time(supposedly a rare occurance). The only sure fire pregnancy test is a blood test (it measures you hormone levels). Be careful ubtil you know for sure.

Good luck

Dec 5, 2007, 08:28 PM
    Would it be a smart idea to get a blood test? Especially with being diabetic?
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2007, 08:34 PM
    Again, not an expert here...

I thought I read somewhere that the blood test, while more sensitive, really buys you no more than a week at its bottom point for sensitivity... that is it can maybe pick up the pregnant. (if you are) a week earlier than with home tests... wait a week and your hormone levels can build enough to match what the blood test would have shown.

I cannot vouch for that... just something that I know I read once. Cannot tell you the source or validity.

Certainly with diabetes you'd want to have a doctor involved if you are pregnant... not sure how the threat of gestational diabetes can compound your health issues...

Just doesn't seem out of whack for you to consult a doctor.

Are you trying to get pregnant?

Dec 5, 2007, 08:37 PM
    No I'm not trying, I don't think I'm quite ready yet. But me and my boy friend have been intimate and I'm just worried about the missed period.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this a positive or negative pregnancy test? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi my name is stephanie I'm 18 years old as some of you guys already know me, but I took a pregnancy test a couple days ago in the morning and on the oval shape on the right there's a vertical line going down which means the test is working and on the circle shape on the left there's a dark line...

Negative test but still have pregnancy symptoms [ 3 Answers ]

OK so my period started last week but it was kind of a weird one... it had started on Wednesday and was kind of heavy. Then on Thursday it was pretty light and was gone by Friday. My period is ALWAYS on time... I also have a lot of the symptoms of being pregnant... tired all the time, my boobs are...

Pregnancy Symptoms, negative test [ 4 Answers ]

This is my situation: My husband and I decided to stop my birth control in January because I was having a lot of side effects. We were going to attempt the fertility awareness method and use condoms during the week of ovulation. Well the week after I stopped I had a normal week then I began to...

Causing a negative pregnancy test? [ 2 Answers ]

I a supposed to leave for Basic Training next week... A few weeks ago I found out I was pregnant, had a d&c, so I a no longer pregnant. However, my hcg levels are still being detected by a pregnancy tests. Is there anything I can drink or do to get my hcg levels to drop back to normal more quick?...

View more questions Search