Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dreagirl2003 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2007, 04:56 PM
    Should I get married to my boyfriend before he leaves for the Army?
    Hi, I am 23 years old and I'm thinking about getting married. My boyfriend is leaving for the Army on January 21st. We don't know if we should wait till he gets back to get married or get married before he leaves do to the benefits?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2007, 06:34 PM
    That really depends entirely on the two of you. If you marry, you will be considered his next of kin. Right now the next of kin is probably his parents. You will be eligible for military benefits like heath insurance and commissary privileges. What do you want to do?
    mjl Posts: 486, Reputation: 26

Nov 27, 2007, 06:57 PM
    Do you want to get married because you want to promise to be with him forever, or because of the benefits of being a military wife?
    Queen0804 Posts: 40, Reputation: 3

Nov 27, 2007, 07:45 PM
    I think you should marry him when you both feel ready. Either now or when he comes back.
    MrsHec4 Posts: 118, Reputation: 4

Dec 1, 2007, 10:29 AM
    You shouldn't get married solely for military benefits but if you both really love each other and want to be married to one another then I say go for it. It makes things a little easier if you're married before he goes to basic training. It's a hassle for him to change all of his information after he's already gone through training. But if you guys aren't really ready don't do it. Marriage is hard and a military marriage is even harder. Trust me I'm a military wife and the army comes first. So be prepared to come second.
    duckysocute Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2011, 04:17 PM
    I have the same question... well kind of. I don't know if me and my boyfriend should get married before or after boot camp. We know that we want to be with each other forever and were not sure when we should get married. We want to live together when he gets out but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to move in with him on his base unless were married. Any thoughts??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My married boyfriend w/ 2kids [ 2 Answers ]

WHY Don't HE GET A DIVORCE. he says he's done, and moving on w/ me but I have yet to see divorce papers? (also we live together) and I just akwardly enough just met her for the 1st time 2 days ago because he was in the hospital. SHE JUST POPPED UP? Hello?what do I do ?

Army of Two? [ 23 Answers ]

All right, this is embarrassing. But I can't ask any of my co-workers, because I don't want to be made fun of. Not everyone is very Understanding in the US. Army. I'm not embarrassed of the woman I love, it's just that she lives back home, and I'm about to be Deployed to Iraq... Now, I grew up...

Married Woman, Boyfriend Parental Rights [ 2 Answers ]

My wife of 17 years had an affair last year and is pregnant. The boyfriend knows all about the pregnancy and is demanding that the baby have his last name even though my wife is still legally married. Now, I don't need to hear about leaving her. We have been separated for over 10 months and have...

Getting married to the army [ 4 Answers ]

What exactly do you need and have to do in order to be married? My boyfriend is coming home on leave and we are going to get married at the courthouse what do I need to do? And if I lost my birth certificate can I use just my id!!

View more questions Search