Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2007, 06:32 AM
    Computer turns off
    This has happened about 2 times in the last month. My computer will shut down monitor and all... a little yellow light will start flashing... the on/off button on the moniter, also on the computer the yellow light will flash. I can't turn it back on until I turn the power strip off and wait a few minutes and turn it back on. Then when I turn it on and it goes through set up... it makes a crazy noise like it is stalling and I hit a key, any key and it starts up. Then a green light is on, the keyboard, moniter and computer. Btw it is a dell dimension E310. Bought new 3 years in February.. but who nows when it was built. I know my wording is terrible... sorry . Thanks in advance for the advice.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2007, 07:06 AM
    Sounds like maybe an intermiddent power problem? Then a Low Power shutdown.
    Do you have an indicator that verifies External power hooked up.
    This Laptop has no external power indicator. It does light up yellow, If external power is disconnected.
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2007, 08:23 AM
    Not sure what you mean... but when my computer turns off... my fax machine and printer still work.
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2007, 08:50 AM
    My mistake, I was thinking Laptop. What does your Yellow indicator indicate?
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2007, 09:04 AM
    The yellow indicator light only comes on when the computer and moniter suddenly shuts down. When I turn off the power strip off wait a few minutes, then the yellow light is still flashing, I press the button and the computer comes back on to the set up screen.
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Nov 19, 2007, 10:18 AM
    Have someone check the PSU (Power Supply Unit) as it sounds like it is going out. If the unit has been dropped there might be a loose connection.
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2007, 10:22 AM
    No it hasn't been dropped. But we did remove a wall section in the room it is in... it got really dirty from all of the dust... so I'm wondering. I believe this is when it started.
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Nov 19, 2007, 10:57 AM
    Remove the cover off the CPU unit, and use a can of compressed air to blow off all the dust and debri from within. See if this works, but if not then get the PSU checked before you continue to have problems.
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 06:48 AM
    Maybe reseat any boards and connections.
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2007, 08:02 AM
    Start... I'm dumb... reseat boards.. what does this mean. Maybe I should just take it in to a shop.
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 08:05 PM
    Sometimes boards or connections get loose from different reasons.
    With power off. Push on all connectors, boards, any connection within the computer.
    That has solved many problems.
    BBWfromPhilly Posts: 42, Reputation: 5

Nov 22, 2007, 08:00 AM
    Some computers have an internal battery that needs changing once in a while. These have been known to interfere with computer start ups and often a monitor won't work without a new battery.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 22, 2007, 08:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    This has happened about 2 times in the last month. My computer will shut down monitor and all...a little yellow light will start flashing.... the on/off button on the moniter, also on the computer the yellow light will flash. I can't turn it back on until I turn the power strip off and wait a few minutes and turn it back on. Then when I turn it on and it goes thru set up...it makes a crazy noise like it is stalling and I hit a key, any key and it starts up. Then a green light is on, the keyboard, moniter and computer. Btw it is a dell dimension E310. Bought new 3 years in Feburary..but who nows when it was built. I know my wording is terrible...sorry . Thanks in advance for the advice.
    I had a similar problem with a PC that was on my tool box at work (dirty auto shop) Eventually it was so bad that the power supply would only work for a few minutes. I replace the power supply and cleaned the interior of the PC tower. It looks like I bought some more time with this old unit!
    Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!
    rayzman Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Nov 27, 2007, 07:53 PM
    Oh it's a dirt problem you're computer is almost one (1) year already its very recommended that the cpu must all around within one(1) month 1-2 times that's why your computer is shutting down by its own because the ic or integrated circuit was flow with dust just clean it if you can if not just call for computer technician near you or you knowing someone

By the way I am from Philippines I am a (ict) or information communication technology I have 'd also study the computer technician??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I reboot my computer and start frest as though it was a new computer [ 17 Answers ]

My computer is very slow I want to reboot it from the start

Light turns on & Fan turns off automatically when a remot is installed [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a Hunter remote separately and installed to my ceiling fan. Everything works good except the following problem. I turn on the fan & turn off the light before I go to sleep and in the middle of night the light goes on and fan turns off. This happens a few times until morning when I turn...

Personal computer as sole computer at work [ 1 Answers ]

I work for a non-profit which has a very low (almost non-existant) budget. When I started work, I agreed to use my personal laptop, which I had purchased about 2 years prior, as my work computer because they could not afford to provide the equipment I needed to do my job (marketing, PR, web...

Direct computer to computer connection via Ethernet ports [ 1 Answers ]

I should like to connect two Windows XP computers via Gigabit ethernet ports. What a software is necessary To ensure the possibility to use one of the PCs as a terminal of another With sharing HDDs ets?

Newly built computer for sale! Powerful Computer! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a computer for sale, here are the specs: DFI Landparty NF4 SLI-DR Motherboard AMD64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ Processor 1GB of Corsair XMS Dual Channel RAM Aspire X-Cruiser Silver Case 550 Watt Antec True Power Power Supply 7800GTX 256MB DDR3 Graphics Card with SLI enabled 300GB Maxtor...

View more questions Search