Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2007, 04:40 PM
    Iron supplements in pregnancy
    I was told by my doc that Im anoemic and needed iron supplements, but Im really freaked about taking too much iron. I called my docs office and talked to a nurse who said to take a certain brand called fersol I think, but the store was all out of this. Thee nurse told me any over the counter would be fine, and My pharmacist told me to buy Spring valley Iron as Ferrous Sulfae 325 mg (65mg) but these numbers are a little off from the ferosol the nurse told me... I thought she said 325 mg, but I thought the other number was 45 mg... is the spring valley amount too much or am I OK? I was instructed to take one pill a day... anyone know? J-9? Buggage? etc... Thakns in advance..
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 8, 2007, 04:43 PM
    I'm confused about the 325 mg and 65 mg part of your question. Can you clear that up for me first? LOL, this was actually Monday's lecture at school
    Expert

Nov 8, 2007, 04:50 PM
    Okay, I found the info on my powerpoint from the lecture... Here goes

"Women who are anemic during pregnancy should take ferrous gluconate, ferrous sulfate, or ferrous fumereate. 60 - 120 mg should be taken per day until the H&H (hematocrit and hemoglobin) become normal, at this point in time the pregnant woman will decrease her iron intake to 30 mg per day"

Always remember to take it with orange juice, yes OJ, between meals.
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2007, 04:52 PM
    it says on the front of the bottle verbatim... "Iron as Ferrous Sulfate 325mg 65 mg" I was so confused by this...

Under the supplement facts it says
    Amount per tablet: Iron 65 mg
    % Daily value: 361%...
    Expert

Nov 8, 2007, 04:56 PM
    Okay, that is fine to take.

If I remember right you can't drink OJ can you? Let me look on my quiz, you may be able to take it with other juices.
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2007, 05:08 PM
    Yeah... OJ makes me ralph... lol.. thanks for the help... will sunny d work?
    Expert

Nov 8, 2007, 05:11 PM
    Okay, you can take it with any CITRUS juice. Apple would be good if you can tolerate apple juice. The reason is that the citrus helps it absorb into your system better.

Are you aware of the side-effects? I want to let you know so you don't freak out.
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2007, 05:13 PM
    Lol.. yes well aware.
    Expert

Nov 8, 2007, 05:15 PM
    Good good. Now if they do upset your little tummy, it's okay to take them at bedtime.
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2007, 06:16 PM
    Thanks Janine... not so little tummy though... HAHA

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Calcium supplements [ 1 Answers ]

Lately, I've heard a Calcium commercial that states a Calcium supplement must contain phospherus in order for the Calcuim to be beneficial to one's body. According to my MD and, everything else I've ever read regarding this topic, only Vitamin D need be present for proper asorption. I would like...

What do you think about supplements [ 9 Answers ]

My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for more then 6 months now. I know that it takes time and all that. But I was wondering if there were some safe supplements that I could be taking to increase my fertility. I already take a daily vitamin and iron supplement as well. Thanks!

Difference between Iron palm and iron fist [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone give me some info on the difference between Iron Palm and Iron Fist training? And also just some overall wushu reference pages and stuff would be appreciated.

Supplements [ 1 Answers ]

What are the adverse side effects of NO2 (arginine alpha ketoglutarate) ?

View more questions Search