Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lulu2912 Posts: 83, Reputation: 4

Oct 25, 2007, 01:21 PM
    7 weeks pregnant and uterus is larger then normal!
    I went to the Dr this morning for my first check up since I found out that I am pregnant. The Dr did NOT do an ultrasound but she felt my uterus with her hands and said it is larger then it should be. She said that it could be because this is my second pregnancy (my 1st was 6 years ago!) or that I am carrying more then one baby. I was on Clomid only on time and got pregnant. I know that I am not more then 7 weeks pregnant because we have been trying for so long. I know when I conceived. So my question is... Is it twins or could it be just because of my second pregnancy even though my first was 6 years ago??
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2007, 01:53 PM
    It really could be either... as you know there is a 10% chance of concieving twins from taking Clomid... but it may very well be from your previous pregnancy. You, as well as I, know nothing is as it used to be when you have a child ;) Especially if you gained a lot of weight with your first pregnancy (like I did)... your uterus could have been stretched so much that it wouldn't have gone back down to the size it was before your first pregnancy.

I am surprised however that she didn't do an ultrasound to see if it could possibly be twins... I know at 7 weeks there is a possibility you won't be able to see the baby yet... but she could have least tried haha.

But it honestly could be either... you will just have to wait until your first ultrasound or heartbeat to see if its twins or not.
    lulu2912 Posts: 83, Reputation: 4

Oct 25, 2007, 02:32 PM
    Yeah I go back on November 29th, but I really don't want to wait that long. If it is more then one baby, then my husband and I will need the full pregnancy to work some issues out (i.e. money, work, etc). She said that when I go back if my uterus still feels larger then normal she will do an ultrasound. She will also check for the heartbeat, but I will be 1 day shy of 11 weeks. I thought it was 12-13 weeks before you could hear the heartbeat? I don't know. The wait is going to drive me crazy!!
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2007, 02:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu2912
    Yeah I go back on November 29th, but I really don't want to wait that long. If it is more then one baby, then my husband and I will need the full pregnancy to work some issues out (i.e. money, work, etc). She said that when I go back if my uterus still feels larger then normal she will do an ultrasound. She will also check for the heartbeat, but I will be 1 day shy of 11 weeks. I thought it was 12-13 weeks before you could hear the heartbeat?? I dont know. The wait is going to drive me crazy!!!!!
    Yeah... that's weird that she didn't just do an ultrasound to see... hmm.

Well hearing the heartbeat varies from person to person. You can see the heartbeat on an ultrasound around 6 weeks... generally the heartbeat can be heard around 10 weeks... but again that varies woman to woman.

The wait would drive me bonkers!
    nikki help Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2007, 02:04 PM
    Sorry to interrupt but what is clomid??
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2007, 02:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikki help
    sorry to interrupt but what is clomid?????
    Clomid is a medication that induces ovulation in women that are having fertility problems.
    nikki help Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2007, 02:15 PM
    I was tlking to you during the week duno if you remember me? Well I've an appointment on Monday wif my doc.. hope all goes well are you takeing clomid? If so is it useful. I think I have fertility problems is it possible aftrer having two children? I never planned either of my children and now I am planing I ent getting any where. Was talking to my husband two day about it he's thinks its me to but I think it could be either one of us I so want to surprise him and me for xmas with a positive test :-(
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2007, 04:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikki help
    i was tlking to u during the week duno if u remember me? well i,ve an appointment on monday wif my doc.. hope all goes well r u takeing clomid? if so is it useful. i think i have fertility problems is it possible aftrer having two children? i never planned either of my children and now i am planing i ent getting any where. was talking to my husband two day about it hes thinks its me to but i think it could be either one of us i so want to suprise him and me for xmas with a positive test :-(
    How long have you been trying? Most doctors won't step in until you have been trying for a year. It is very possible to have fertility problems after children... lulu has a child and had to take Clomid and she's not pregnant :D... I have a 5 year old daughter and couldn't get pregnant again, so I am on my first round of Clomid... don't know if it has worked this time round but we will see soon enough :)

Just make sure it doesn't turn into the "blame game" between you and your husband... try not to point the finger at anyone as it will just make things stressful and one of you will feel inadequate. My husband thought the problem was his because I had a child from a previous relationship and he has none... so he was very nervous to get tested because he was so afraid they were going to say it was his fault... but he got tested and everything came back fine. You really just need to work at this together, make sure you both are actively involved with doctors appts and treatments (if necessary).

Baby making is a team effort ;)
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2007, 08:10 AM
    Hey Lulu. Well, a larger then normal uterus could be several things. The thing about feeling the uterus from the outside(like most science in general) its not an exact process. Its just getting an estimate, going from the average size of a woman's uterus at the average date. However, as you know, every woman and every pregnancy is different. Once you have a baby, your uterus never completely goes back to the pre-pregnancy size. So with each pregnancy, its very possible that your uterus will feel larger then it normally would in a first pregnancy. The obvious possibility of a multiple pregnancy(which is a very real possibility, with you having been on clomid) You could have uterine fibroids. You could have more amniotic fluid then usual. Perhaps the baby is simple positioned higher in the uterus. (but I don't think that would make much of a difference at this age in the pregnancy. Keep in mind that I am just naming some possibilities that happen to some women, and not an absolute reason, so don't get worried or anything hah) You might just be carrying a large baby. Or you could just be carrying a perfectly normal, happy, healthy baby. By your next appointment, you may be right on the size and date. You may be bigger, or even smaller. You never know with pregnancy. If you need the whole pregnancy to prepare for the extra posibilitiy of another baby, just start preparing anyway... if it turns out you are having only one, they you will have a financial cushion for any baby needs that will come along, or somet splurge shopping. Good luck to you, let us know what you find out at your next appointment. (ps. I measured large with both my boys... SINGLETON pregnancies, just big happy healthy boys)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Only one normal period after miscarriage in Jan.now 2 weeks late. [ 3 Answers ]

I was 16 weeks pregnant when I had to have an emergency D&C on January 9, 2007. I healed quickly and had a normal period on February 8, 2007. My periods are usually regular and have never really been affected by previous stressful times in my life. My partner and I weren't going to try to get...

Enlarged uterus not pregnant [ 3 Answers ]

What are some causes for an enlarged uterus? And what should I so about it?

4 weeks pregnant confirmed but not feeling pregnant [ 22 Answers ]

I'm 4 weeks pregnant started bleeding yesterday but it stopping now the problem is I'm not feeling any symptoms but then again I'm only 4 weeks are they to start around 10 weeks before my mood was at a high like I've never fely before my appetite has gone over the last few days but that might be...

I am 28 weeks pregnant [ 11 Answers ]

I have been sick for 3 day and now it has blood in it do I need to go see a doctor

I am 4 weeks pregnant [ 5 Answers ]

K what happened was I found out that I am pregnant but I had a little bit of pain on my right side so the doctor told me it was a blatter infection so he gave me some pills for it then a few days went by and the pain did not go away so I went to the walk in clinic again and the doctor told me it...

View more questions Search