Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starchy Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Oct 8, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Best choice for basement floor
    I own a 7 yr. old bungalow approx 1100 sq. ft. Basement is poured concrete. I have just been through a serious mold problem in the previously finished walls. I had snow melt accumulate in 3 window wells and come in under the windows. Happened twice before I fixed a grading problem. The black (tar) paper lining the cement walls between studs and cement was covered in mold. In a basement bedroom, I had laminate floor laid on foam, then poly, then on glued down sheet vinyl. Everything mentioned above, all of the wall board, insulation and black paper have been removed and properly disposed of. In the room that had the sheet vinyl under the laminate, the mold had grown under the vinyl. This vinyl was lifted and removed as well. All of the basement has been treated with a commercial mold killer and there is no longer any smell in the basement.

After removal, the floor has been scraped clean almost to the cement. There is however, some of the old adhesive remaining on the floor. I want to re-do this bedroom including the floor when the basement has been refinished sometime in the next 3 weeks. I have heard about Dri-Core as an underlayment and from what I have seen, it seems to be the right choice for a cement floor. I am thinking of installing pre-finished hardwood as flooring.
    I am quite certain that I have corrected the water entry problem in the basement with extensive re-grading of my exterior. I taped poly to my floors and walls and after 3 days, there was no moisture on the under side.
    My questions are: Is Dri-Core the best way to go? Can I install (nail) hardwood to this product? What else should I be aware of before selecting and installing new flooring in my basement guest room? Are certain types of flooring better suited to being installed in a basement?
    Thanks for any responses.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Oct 8, 2007, 02:13 PM
    If the moisture is under control id go with carpet, reason being your basement will be cooler than the rest of the house, using a tile floor or wood would make it feel even cooler.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Seriously uneven basement floor [ 1 Answers ]

I am buying a house that has a basement floor that is very uneven. The home was built in 1937 the basement floor is like valleys and mountians (a few inches up here and a few inches down there) is there any way to repair this and lay a good floor without breaking it up and pouring a new floor....

Basement floor [ 2 Answers ]

Why is my basement floor sinking

Basement Floor Drain [ 2 Answers ]

I have a floor drain in the basement which appears to be dried out. When I put water down the drain it just sat there for a couple of days before drying out. Could the drain have a blockage and, if so, how do I fix it. I'm concerned because the drain is the only apparent relief from water in the...

Basement floor drain [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Colorado and wish to install a basement shower and use the existing floor drain in the basement to connect the shower basin drain to it. Is that OK to do? What problems might I encounter? How do I know if one exists? If none exists, what are the code requirements? The house was built...

Pipes in new basement floor [ 7 Answers ]

I'm going to be putting in a bathroom in the basement of my new house but I'm not sure what the connections are for. I have a 12"X12 box right in the concrete floor. I haven't cut it open but I think that is for the shower? I have one larger capped tube coming straight up and I think that is for...

View more questions Search