Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Masiella Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 10:50 AM
    Oil to gas conversion
    I currently have oil heat with a big oil tank in the basement. The oil company tells me oil is chaper and the gas company says gas is cheaper. I would like to convert to gas only if the price is the same as oil or cheaper. Otherwise, I see no point for me to spend money at theis point to convert and then if gas is indeed more expensive, have higher monthly heating bills. What is your advice as far as pricing?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 17, 2007, 11:38 AM
    Historically they have flip flopped. The problem is that you can't compare prices, you have to compare the cost of heating. Sometimes gas is more cost effective, other times oil is. Right now I believe they are pretty close. But remember the costs of conversion are close to $5K. It will take a long time to make that back up.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 04:50 PM
    When oil furnaces are properly maintained and set-up, they can be very efficient. Around here, the last few years, LP was highest to operate, then oil and then nat' gas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dryer Conversion Gas 2 Electric [ 3 Answers ]

Own Kenmore Elite Gas dryer model 110.71062000. Currently in an area which does not have piped gas. Is there a method or conversion kit which will allow me to convert from gas to electric. Thanks in advance... Top

Gas dryer conversion [ 1 Answers ]

Can I convert a gas dryer to electric

Conversion of Maytag gas dryer [ 1 Answers ]

How do I open up a maytag dryer to change from Natural gas to LP gas? How do I change from Natural gas to LP gas with the conversion kit I get?

Electric Dryers with a gas conversion [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Elite Dryer but we put a Gas conversion on it 2 years ago because it was an old house and it wasn't set up for an electric dryer. Well since then I have divorced and used another old dryer. The old one died on me and is making a clicking sound. So I would like to take the gas...

View more questions Search