Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    caimakale Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2007, 11:12 PM
    Add outlet on A/C or Hot Tub Circuit?
    Is it within code to tap into an A/C disconnect box (240v) or hot tub disconnect (240v) and add a 120v GFCI outlet?

I know it can be done, but there may be potential risks that I am not aware of. It's not worth doing something stupid and putting my family at an unnecessary fire risk. I can keep running an extension cord outside when I need the power.

If it can be done within code, I can provide further details on the two circuits if it is dependent on certain factors.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2007, 12:00 AM
    You can buy disconnects with an integral GFCI, but the case has to be open for it to be used.
    This is typically done as a convience to the AC service person.

Think about it, the 120 V receptacle is rated for 15-20 A. The disconnect can have a 30 A fuse. The outlet is not fused correctly unless it has a separate circuit.

Your best bet might be a box with a GFCI receptacle that can withstand a plug being connected and it raining outside.
    caimakale Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2007, 12:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    You can buy disconnects with an integral GFCI, but the case has to be open for it to be used.
    This is typically done as a convience to the AC service person.

Think about it, the 120 V recepticle is rated for 15-20 A. The disconnect can have a 30 A fuse. The outlet is not fused correctly unless it has a separate circuit.

Your best bet might be a box with a GFCI receptacle that can withstand a plug being connected and it raining outside.
    If I was to do this, I would add a separate box with a GFI receptacle.

I didn't think about the 30 amp breaker that controls the A/C circuit, it's a very good point. I can add a breaker in my main panel outside and run it in conduit, but that would require 50 additional feet of wire vs. a couple feet of wire and conduit if I tap into the A/C disconnect box.
    buzzman Posts: 54, Reputation: 9

Aug 20, 2007, 12:38 AM
    Another thing to consider is the hot tub already is supposed to be GFI protected. Aside from the fact that the breaker feeding the tub is rated for 30-50Amp as a #10-#6AWG wire. You are looking at hooking up a receptacle at 15Amp using a minimum of a #14AWG as well as doubling up on your GFI protection. Also, legally you are taking a chance in the rare case you had a fire. Insurance might not cover you if it is not done to code. Insurance companies are beginning to be very anal in this day and age. They are looking for any reason NOT to cover you.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2007, 12:42 AM
    The wires for the new GFCI, I believe can be fished through the, hopefully, existing conduit.
    You did leave a fish line in there the first time, didn't you?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2007, 06:02 PM
    Could add 2 circuits to side, or remove and install 4 circuit panel. Is it for convience or does it have a purpose? Some breakers allow a 2 240 volt circuits on 2 poles or 1 240 and 2 120 breaker protection on 2 poles.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Change Circuit Breaker or add a new one? [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing 4 outdoor post lamps, each running 180 watts (720 watts total). I would like to connect the wiring to my existing switch attached to the existing patio light (100w). The circuit breaker (15 amp) currently installed is for the existing patio light, as well as many other lights...

Expense to add electrical service for Hot tub [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to find an average of what to expect to pay for electrical service (220) to be installed for my hot tub

Hot tub circuit breaker tripping [ 1 Answers ]

I have had this hot tub for about 6 years. It has a history of blowing an internal 20 amp fuze. But, lately it runs a little while and then trips the circuit breaker. Any ideas?

Electrical outlet rating vs. Circuit breaker amperage rating [ 5 Answers ]

Hello to all, I am new to this forum, please excuse me if this question has been answered. I just bought a Thermal Dynamics Plasma cutter. It has a Nema 50-P plug end on it, which I assume is to be plugged into a Nema 50-R outlet. In looking in my reference book, this is a 3 wire...

Outside GFI circuit - 15amp outlet on 20amp circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I need a better understanding of what I should do when setting up my new outdoor circuit. I've got a circuit that runs about 150 feet, so I'm installing 10g wire to allow for the voltage drop. I read in the Home Depot Electrical 123 book that I can have at most a 15amp circuit with 10g wire on...

View more questions Search