Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    poseidon Posts: 244, Reputation: 55

Jul 24, 2007, 07:00 AM
    Q&A SITE www.pointask.com
    Hi everyone,

I am looking for some info please,

For those who may not already know WWW.Pointask.Com is another Q&A site which has been going since 2000.

The person who has registered the site is a Barak Shein. He apparently is only the 'front man' and although he was quite active there in 2000/01, all he does now is register the domain name each January and has no other involvement.

No one appears to know who actually owns the site.

Has anyone any knowledge about who the actual owners of www.pointask.com are?

Any help gratefully received.

Cy
    (Poseidon)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 24, 2007, 07:01 AM
    Why do you want to know?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 24, 2007, 07:21 AM
    Hmmm and oddly enough PA seems to be down.
    Nice big 500 server error.
    Oh well.

Now I always thought that PA was Barak's toy for trying things out.
    He never really did anything with it and until recently there was ZERO moderation.
    Now they have ONE mod, but he is seriously hampered by what he is capable of doing.

I think Barak saw the rise of Q&A and thought he'd jump on the wagon, but never really got there.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 07:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    Hmmm and oddly enough PA seems to be down.
    Nice big 500 server error.
    Oh well.

Now i always thought that PA was Barak's toy for trying things out.
    He never really did anything with it and untill recently there was ZERO moderation.
    Now they have ONE mod, but he is seriously hampered by what he is capable of doing.

I think Barak saw the rise of Q&A and thought he'd jump on the wagon, but never really got there.
    Oh so that's what's wrong with it. I thought they didn't like me and kicked me off or something.. lol.
    BossMan

Jul 24, 2007, 07:23 AM
    NS, well I didn't want to say anything, but...
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 07:24 AM
    Lol.. hey, either way, its no worry to me :)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2007, 07:41 AM
    You may want to check out pointaskpowwow : POINTASK POWWOW It was started by John Brooks who has some limited moderation authority there now. There has been some discussion of that topic there. The site went down sometime last evening. In his Yahoo group, John is speculating it could be due to his efforts to get a response from the administration. It has been a pitiful shadow most of this year. I think AMHD thrives due to a strong marketing program. I wouldn't miss PA or AW if they both shut down. I spend too much time making sure questions there I should answer aren't going unanswered. As it is, AMHD and All Experts take up more of my time than I can afford.

PA combines the poorest structure of any site plus no control of people playing the multiple identities game.
    BossMan

Jul 24, 2007, 08:07 AM
    Just to add.
    Scottgem and I did some digging a while back and it seems Barak is a Micro$oft employee, so, we believe, after seeing the success of AskMe he thought he'd have a go.
    Surprisingly enough PA was never in the same league and never went anywhere.

Jul 24, 2007, 11:04 AM
    For Scottgem,

I have just tried to send you a PM via AMHD but am informed your AHMD Inbox is too full.

I am happy to tell you privately why I would like to find out who the owners of PA are as I know you from many sites.

If you can empty your AMHD Inbox and/or PM me, I will gladly reply.

Cy
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 24, 2007, 11:40 AM
    Cleared

Aug 12, 2007, 02:20 AM
    For Scottgem,

Please accept my profound apologies.

I accidentally disagreed with your reply when rating your answer.

Goodness knows how I did it, probably a brainstorm.

Please be assured that I AGREE with it and once again I do apologise.

I tried to amend it but it seems there is no facility to do this on AMHD.

Cy
    (Poseidon)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Www.w3.com? [ 2 Answers ]

On a friend's computer, on start up, a box pops up and says that www.w3.com wants some infomation; click here to connect to the internet (he is still on dial up). Has anyone seen this? How do we get rid of it? Thanks much

About the faith of www.freelotto.com [ 21 Answers ]

I´m Renas the new user here I would like you my colleagues t answer me this question please tell me if the FreeLotto - Where you can win $10,000,000.00 FREE ! is it a scam or not I would like to know about it because ythey sent a message to me telling me that I may become a $1milion winner but till...

Bleeding & birthcontrol new to site [ 1 Answers ]

Im eighteen years old and I am new to this site. Im trying to learn how to use it. Im kind of scared actually because I don't want people thinking I'm stupid or dumb for asking questions. But, I was put on birthcontrol and I started taking it even though I didn't have a period that month. I know...

WWW Naming [ 2 Answers ]

Ok in WWW naming why is the Top Level Domain for England .co.uk and the TLD for say Germany just .de?? Surely it should be .co.de for country germany?? Any ideas people

View more questions Search