Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gazelleintense Posts: 175, Reputation: 13

May 3, 2007, 05:15 PM
    Coils freeze window ac unit. Why?
    The coils keep freezing. I'm told it's a low freon issue from a friend. Is this true?

The unit is nearing 7 years, and I don't recall having any problems with it , or ever charging it.
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2007, 06:50 PM
    It could be low on freon, it also may need the coils cleaned. Does the unit have a filter?

May 4, 2007, 03:30 AM
    Its got a filter. Looks clean. The coils do look dirty. Can I clean them myself? If so how?
    debrajulian Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2007, 03:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gazelleintense
    the coils keep freezing. im told its a low freon issue from a friend. is this true?

the unit is nearing 7 years, and I don't recall having any problems with it , or ever charging it.
    Not enough frion n in unit
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2007, 03:34 PM
    Yes you can, get a bowl of water and a tooth brush and VERY GENTLY clean the coils from top to bottom, be sure not to bend or smash the fins
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2007, 03:37 PM
    If you can get the unit outside you can also spray the off gently with a hose

May 4, 2007, 07:53 PM
    Cool. Thanks for the tips everyone. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recharging window unit AC [ 3 Answers ]

Can a window unit air conditioner be recharged with freon? (or whatever the coolant used is called) If so, how?

Can I vent a window A/C unit into the attic? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to install a window A/C unit in the wall of my third floor. I know that if I vent it into the attic, it will increase the temperature of the attic. What problems would occur if the heat in the attic did increase significantly?

Squeaking/Chirping Window A/C Unit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. My windoW A/C unit has started making a squeaking/chirping noise. It started intermittenly but now makes this noise for hours at a time!

Old window unit [ 1 Answers ]

We have a Friedrich window unit. It has a 3 prong plug and we have it in a 20 amp socket. The breaker is a 60 amp and the wiring is 220 12/3. We aren't getting power to the unit. What are we doing wrong here?? :eek:

Is there a dehumidifier/window unit?. [ 3 Answers ]

I am so tired of having to empty my dehumidifier every day and I don't have a basement drain. Does anyone know if a window unit exists?

View more questions Search