Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justwhattodo Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2015, 07:42 AM
    Blower Not Turning On - Humming
    Last night we had several multi-second brownouts after which I noticed a slight change in the sound of our main HVAC unit (Bryant 350MAV 060120F). This morning I heard the unit trying to start the main blower and I just heard a humming sound which lasted about 5 - 10 seconds each time and then it stopped trying. It seemed to retry this every minute or so. Concerned that the motor would burn out, I turned off power to the unit. I removed the panel (which has already had the safety switch taped down) and tried to hand-turn the fan - it turns freely but stops immediately when I let go. I turned on the power and waited for the unit to start up. I heard the humming and tried to 'help it' by turning the fan but it was as if it was locked - i.e. the motor wouldn't allow the fan to turn either way.

Note:

* I did hear the relay or capacitor click as the motor was trying to start
    * I feel heat coming off the back of the motor when it's humming
    * The status light for the unit is solid red - "everything's fine" (well, it's not).
    * With the unit not in AC mode, I did try "fan-only" mode and experienced the same (blower wouldn't start)

I do have a multimeter, don't have a hub puller.

Is this clearly a bad motor, bearings, etc.

I can pull the fan/motor unit if needed and/or jumper wires to try to get it run separately.

Recommendations?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 21, 2015, 08:10 AM
    It sounds like the starter winding are shot, no fix other than replace the blower motor.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2015, 08:47 AM
    Could possibly be a start capacitor. They are cheap and easy to replace. I'd start there first.

Jun 21, 2015, 08:56 AM
    OK, great, I'll try the capacitor first. Thx.

Jun 22, 2015, 02:36 AM
    OK- it wasn't the capacitor - I actually realized I could swap with the capacitor (same specs) I have on my second (smaller) unit and both capacitors are working fine. Based on that I've pulled the blower unit out - need to pick up a hub puller to extract the motor and find a replacement. Any recommendations on best places to find a replacement motor - is that something that Grainger would typically carry?
    bitters Posts: 348, Reputation: 12

Jun 22, 2015, 05:52 AM
    I have had a few that I just loosen the set screw and give it a good shake and the motor falls out. On the tough ones I heat them up, works every time.

Jun 22, 2015, 03:31 PM
    OK - so I've replaced the motor, re-inserted the blower assembly and wired everything up. When I start up the system, it starts up and runs for 3-5 seconds and then shuts down. The fan continues to rotate for many seconds - which it did not do with the old motor, but it still isn't running.

Next step? Thoughts?

Jun 22, 2015, 03:45 PM
    OK - actually - after letting it sit "on" (not running - just powered up), it's running like a champ. Thank you to all who helped with answers and guidance. I've learned a few new things in the past 24 hours.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

58rav humming blower motor [ 1 Answers ]

Have a Carrier 58RAV hvac. Blower motor does NOT come on. It makes a humming sound. After ruling out the capacitor and other components, removed the motor and capacitor, reconnected them YESTERDAY, ran power directly to the motor with capacitor in place. Bingo, it worked fine. Reinstalled, ran...

I have a goodman gas furnace it keeps humming and blades are not turning? [ 0 Answers ]

It seems to run fine in the day time. Come about 4 or 5 pm it stops working. Any ideals?

My central a.c. Is running outside, but the blower is only humming, help? [ 1 Answers ]

Outside a.c. unit appears to be working fine, but blower is only humming. Any suggestions?

After flushing toilet or turning on water there is a loud humming noise [ 2 Answers ]

After flushing the toilet and the tank fills up or if I turn on any sink water the pipes in the basement make a loud humming like noise. As soon as I turn off or the toilet stops filling the noise stops. This just started 2 days ago. Any thought...

Blower is humming [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Magic CHef forced air blower that has been working fine, but now hums-even if the t-stat is set in off. Any ideas. Thanks.

View more questions Search