Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sben6 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2014, 10:32 AM
    Timer switched installed- now light is always on
    I replace a regular switch with a timer switch for my porch light- the new switch is w/o a neutral wire. Once installed it works but when it's in the off position the light is still on but very dim. I figured I put the black wire connection backwards- so I switched the two black wire connections- same result. The timer works- the on position works- but it never fully goes off, just dims in the off position- what went wrong- inside the wall box are two black wires and a ground- the switch has a black, a blue and a ground. Help!?
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2014, 10:36 AM
    if installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions, then this question should be brought to the manufacturer...
    Studs ad Posts: 134, Reputation: 9

Jul 9, 2014, 08:54 PM
    It's stormy outside tonight and TV is boring so let's try a few things.

If it is an electronic timer- digital and not a mechanical timer, then it probably is faulty, but sometimes the electronics need a ground reference to completely kill the current through the switching device. They may also need a certain load impedance to pull down the switching circuit. Make sure your ground is good and that you have read the manufacturers instructions. What type of bulb are you using in the light? If you aren't using an incandescent light just try one for the heck of it. An LED light or CFL bulb might not have enough load on it to work correctly with the switch where an incandescent might. All else fails take it back and ask for a new one or your money back. If you bought it from a source that has technical people working there, you might ask if they have had this issue before and what they did about it. I would be interested to find out the reason for my own information. I install these devices now and then and I haven't ever had your issue, but it only takes one different variable sometimes to change the way things behave.

I have had other devices that use similar triacs (electronic switches)etc. on the outputs that needed a pull down or bleed resistor to completely kill the power or they will leak a small current depending on the device connected to it. That is why I suggested the regular incandescent lamp idea in hopes it might work. If you figure it out please come back and let us know what you found.
    sben6 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2014, 09:55 PM
    Thanks Studs ad- you hit it on the head- first the journey- I first installed electronic timer switch with no neutral wire- light only dimmed but didn't go off- I replaced that one w one that had a neutral and that fixed it! But I had a second to install- two lights on this switch- this switch had no neutral so I used the original timer switch I bought and the same thing happened -it dimmed but didn't go off - I WAS using Led bulbs- so I tried your suggestion and replaced only one w regular bulb- and the lights went completely out- Funny that it only took one bulb to do it- I did however switch both to regular bulbs so they'd match and now my lights are off when they should be- So... my conclusion is this- if using Led bulbs you need a timer switch w a neutral wire connection- and if you have no neutral you can't use Led bulbs!

THANKS for the help- appreciate being able to figure it out w/o calling an electrician!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Light can not be switched off if fan on [ 1 Answers ]

Ceiling fan light can not be swiched off at button or by remote control if fan is on?

Grabbing power from a switched light [ 4 Answers ]

I have power to a light fixture that then goes on to a switch... I would like to grab power from the cable going to the light fixture and run it to a receptacle (in another room). The cable is in my unfinished attic so its very convienent to create a junction... but I am curious if that would...

Pull switch installed on a switched light? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: I would like to install a pull switch into a fluorescent light (one ballast) that is controlled by a wall switch. The flouescent light is at the end of the another light that is controlled by the same wall switch. Can I switch this fluorescent light from the pull switch? I understand...

Can light turn on and off while switched on [ 3 Answers ]

When my can lights in my kitchen, hallway and living room are turned on some of them turn off seemingly in no particular order. There is a sound that is mechanical when this happens, like a click, almost like they are to hot and there is a safety switch. I have installed 60 watt light bulbs and it...

Light at own home produces sound when light at neighbor's house is switched on [ 4 Answers ]

I've moved into an apartment. I noticed that whenever I switched on my fluorescence light and when my neighbor switches on his light, my fluorescence light would produce a 'rrrrr' or 'mmm' sound which sometimes can be loud and irritating. I have tried changing the light bulb and even the ballast...

View more questions Search