Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LAGirl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2007, 05:07 PM
    501c3 for a single event
    Is it possible to form a 501c3 non-profit for the purpose of a single event? Ie, to put on a single fundraising event (ie a theatre production which takes place over 8 performances with an opening night silent auction/raffle) where donations can be accepted to cover overhead expenses while the net profits are donated to charity; with donors receiving tax credit for their donation?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2007, 05:11 PM
    Forming a 501c(3) is a major undertaking for just one event. Wouldn't it be easier to find an existing organiation and run this fundraising through their organization?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 26, 2007, 11:00 PM
    Agreed. 501c(3) setups can cost a bundle to do properly.
    LAGirl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2007, 11:09 PM
    THanks to both!
    I am trying to find one that's set up already. Another option someone brought up to me is the Charitable Gift Fund though I don't know if there's any way to repay my overhead costs out of something like that or not...
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 30, 2007, 12:03 PM
    I recommend you get a professional to run this project for you. There are too many pitfalls for an amateur.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How come single men fall for emtional games from single women but not married ones? [ 75 Answers ]

Okay this was brought up in another post by Wildcat. I didn’t want to take away from the original poster but this has been on my mind all day and I just want to get some other feedback on it. The OP was a mistress and as WC points out we’ve been seeing a lot of that here lately. Here’s what WC...

501c3 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is Rahfeki Brown the questioned I have is can I file my 501c3 on my own don't want to pay the 400.00 dollars to someone else if I can do it myself

501c3 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I originally posted under philanthropy/charity and was directed to repost here for possible insight. Below are my two posts, if you can shed any light on the topic, I'd much appreciate it: Ok, here is my situation. I have a friend who needs adaptive equipment in the form of a service dog....

How to view single record of ALL people at single address? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a table with addresses and names. I can easily sort it by address to see all the people living at the same address grouped together. However, this is problematic with mail-merges, since I wind up generating a new letter for each person, sending multiple mailings to the same residence. ...

501c3 [ 1 Answers ]

I am applying for a 501c3 tax status.I don't know if it will be a private foundation or not. Here is what I am looking at doing. Starting a christian camp for teens, that is funded with grants aand church support and help by indiv. Got any ideas? Thanks

View more questions Search