Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    savanna4588 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2012, 04:42 PM
    Which uses more water a bath or a shower?
    I have to do a science fair project and my science teacher told me to ask a plumber and there are no plumbers in my neighborhood so I went on here and my question that I wanted to ask you was:how much water does an average person use when they take a bath and when they take a shower?
    kmcar529 Posts: 31, Reputation: 4

Nov 1, 2012, 04:59 PM
    I'm not a plumber, but I am a scientist. That's a deceptively complicated question. Every person is different in their bathing habits - differences in depth of the bath water and size of the tub, as well as length of the shower will affect the amount of water used.

I recommend using yourself and any willing friends/family members for a little experiement. Fill your tub with the amount of water you would normally use for a bath. Measure the depth of the water (without anything else in the tub). The next day, take a normal shower with the drain stopped. Measure the depth of that water. Compare the two and you'll know whether you use more water in a bath or in a shower. You'll need more people than just you to get a decent sample of the population.
    savanna4588 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2012, 03:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kmcar529 View Post
    I'm not a plumber, but I am a scientist. That's a deceptively complicated question. Every person is different in their bathing habits - differences in depth of the bath water and size of the tub, as well as length of the shower will affect the amount of water used.

I recommend using yourself and any willing friends/family members for a little experiement. Fill your tub with the amount of water you would normally use for a bath. Measure the depth of the water (without anything else in the tub). The next day, take a normal shower with the drain stopped. Measure the depth of that water. Compare the two and you'll know whether you use more water in a bath or in a shower. You'll need more people than just you to get a decent sample of the population.
    Thank you so much!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 6, 2012, 03:25 PM
    Even though this is a science question, I moved your question to Plumbing to catch the eyes of our plumber members. Want me to move it back to Ecology or to an Education/Science board?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2012, 03:32 PM
    As a general rule a shower will use less water because the flow is regulated to be no more than 2.5 GPM, at least in newer houses. Tub faucets are not regulated. However, as kmcar529 noted, it depends on how long you run the shower. If you use an equivalent time, assuming same system and pressure, you will use more water in a bath as a typical bath faucet will produce 4-5 GPM.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 6, 2012, 04:37 PM
    You Use Less Energy Taking a Shower Than a Bath.

It depends on your shower head and whether it has a flow restrictor in it and how long you shower.
    If your home was built before 1992, chances are your showerheads put out about five gallons of water per minute (gpm). Multiply this by the number of minutes you're in the shower, and the water adds up fast!
    An average bath requires 30-50 gallons of water. The average shower of four minutes with an old shower head uses 20 gallons of water. With a low-flow shower head, only 10 gallons of water is used.

To test the amount of water used in a shower vs. a bath is to put the plug in the bath next time you take a shower (but not a stand-alone shower as you might spill over the lower shower wall).
    After you've showered, see how much the tub filled up.
    If there is less water than you would usually have in a bath, then you will probably save money by taking a shower instead of a bath.
    Does this answer your question? Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Large bath, water jets & oxi shower diverter mixer in tiled bathroom, water meter in! [ 0 Answers ]

Wish list can I or can't .I 1/ Fit combisave to combi boiler in loft. 2/ Lot smaller bath, 3/ hot&cold taps fitted to bath 4/ item 3 above supplied before pressure equalising valve supplying shower oxi diverter mixer made by GREENS INDUSTRIES LTD, 5/isolate bath supply side of oxi diverter...

No hot water from shower head, but there is hot water from bath and basin [ 1 Answers ]

It would be grateful if someone can help with this problem. There is no hot water from the shower head but there is hot water for bath and basin. This is a mix tap for shower and bath. I have checked the boiler and it works fine. The situation is that there will be hot water coming from...

How do I stop water running through my shower head when I run the bath water [ 2 Answers ]

When I turn the faucet on in my bathtub, some of the water runs through the shower head. The diverter is in the spigot. This was part of a remodel in the bathroom. There was only a tub, then a wall was added and the shower head installed. Should the faucet fixture have been replaced?

No hot water to bath or shower, but I get hot water to bathroom and kitchen sinks. [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting no hot water to my shower or bath but I get hot water in my sinks. I have a combi boiler which got installed about a year ago with all new pipe work. The bathroom got installed about 17 months ago with a mixer shower. I have had no problems until recently. I have seen comments on...

Water will not go up to the shower in bath [ 1 Answers ]

I hope this will be an easy one: When I turn the water on in the bath, the water flows out from the faucet. Then I would pull the pin on top of the faucet and it will redirect the water to the showerhead. Now, when I pull the pin, the water just continues gushing out from the faucet, in a...

View more questions Search